• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Carp

I'd say 34 too. But I have caught a 36 incher that went 24 pounds, and a 36 incher that went 36 pounds. So length is a tough estimate to make. Lake carp, with girth, I'd say they weigh more and their runs have more oomph than their length would indicate. Long, skinny river carp are another matter; they might not weigh as much but they have tons of power for their size. But a 34 incher is definately a trophy. I fish carp a LOT and have only landed 8 or 10 34 inch fish over the years. A 34 incher is a "twenty-class" fish, possibly approaching 30 is it is fat. A monumental achievement on any tackle.

A true trophy carp to me is a fish in the 30+ lb class... this does not mean I frown at others that jump for joy over a 20 lb fish.

My largest to date is a 42 pound carp on hook and line. A partner of mine got a 86 pound carp while bowfishing years back(I was in boat)... after seeing these fish, my 42 seemed far less significant.. let alone a 20 lb fish.

In the end .. a 5 lb carp is still fun to catch.

I would say a 30 pound class fish is a trophy also. I also fish carp ALOT and I have seen 2 30 pound fish, I caught one and my fishing partner caught the other. He also caught another 30 shortly after I left. He calls it his 'religious' fish. Everyone that saw it said, "Omigod, that's a big fish."

We usually catch a couple of 20's every year, but cracking a 30 is really tough.

I suspect that if we want to catch larger fish, we're going to have to start fishing lakes. Those river fish as soooooo strong though, that it is really hard to give up a good thing.

Tom B

Barnyard I agree that the lake carp run bigger, I personally have never seen a 30 come out of a river, all the ones I have caught have been from lakes. I could've caught more if my arms could take the strain. They are brawlers.

I'd say the 40+ lbs class. I helped remove rough fish for a couple years and the biggest we battled were in the lakes around Willmar, MN. We netted quite a few in the 35-45 lb range. Boy were they ever tough to get out of the nets and into the trucks!!

I got two 30lb+ (30, 32) on the same day. Although both were lake carp. Lake Reno, near Alexandria/Glenwood. But my goal is to land a 20 pounder with a 5/6 weight fly rod.

This topic has got me thinking.... We usually fish the Miss once a week or so for carp. "Cookie cutters" (fish in the 8-10 pound range) are our predominant catch. Once a season, we see a 30 and a couple of 20's.

I am thinking that we need to spend more time fishing a lake. Our biggest problem is that, for carp, we prefer to fish from shore. We use field corn cooking in sugar water with our flavor of the day and prefer to be able to bait up a spot and sit for an hour or four.

The hardest thing for us to give up with the rivers are the numbers. It is a rare day that we don't land at least 10 fish. We have had many, many days where a fish will be on before the rod is set in the rod holder.

Within a reasonable range of St Cloud, what would be some lakes that have 1. big fish and 2. public shore access.

I do think that for us, public access is the key. If there are carp in the lake, they will come to our bait, it's just a matter of time.

Also, how do you post photos?? I have 2-20's from the river and a 10-15 pound mirror from the river that I would like to add to the braggin board.

Thanks
Tom B