• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern Hog Sucker - ever Caught One?

Probably the hardest fish to catch in the State of Minnesota is the Northern Hog Sucker. I've caught about seven of them in 30 years. Two this year though! Anybody else have any hogsucker stories!?!?

(Hogsucker pics)

ag_hog1.jpg
nhog4.jpg
core_hogreleae.jpg
ag_hog3.jpg
hoghead.jpg
ag_hog2.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually i have! i fish for suckers/carp in the zumbro river in rochester. i see these occasionally. never really target them but once and then i caught a small one about 10-12 inches long.

During a recent flood they circumvented the Coon Rapids Dam, so they now live in the Mississippi all the way up to Monticello. Best numbers lower down, though, and in the Root, Zumbro, and Cannon.

i've never come across a hog sucker in all the years i've fished......i've even caught "mooneyes" on the sturgeon river chain up north of hibbing....white suckers ...red horse...buffalo fish...dog fish(ugly things that they are)...sturgeon....but....no hog suckers....jonny

MY FRIEND I THINK CAUGHT ONE IN '98 OUT OF THE MN RIVER BY GRANITE FALLS. I HAVE A PICTURE FOR A CLOSER LOOK, BUT NOT SURE HOW TO GET IT ON THE FORUM. I HAVE A SCANNER TO SCAN IT. FROM COMPARING THIS FISH TO ROUGHFISHERS MY FRIENDS LOOKS BIGGER YET. ANY HELP TO GET IT ON THE WEB WILL HELP...THANKS LEECH

------------------

<*))))))))><{

I don't know about you guys but who gives a **** about suckers I want hear about 50 pound carp not half pound suckers.

[This message has been edited by Big Jim (edited 05-26-2004).]

Well then, I guess you should fish for something else. Walleyes or something. Carp are exotic fishes, go eat your tea and crumpets and fish for your Frenchie fish, I fish native American fishes and I love it. I have more respect for the guy who catches a hog sucker than some **** who catches some dag-burned exotic and doesn't care about America and her great fishes.

Looks like some are missing the point of catching a half pound hognose. Between a 10lb carp and 1lb hognose, I'd be more thrilled with the hognose, not because is rarer than the carp but because it's bigger, if you know what I mean.