• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sturgeon

What's the story with Sturgeon this year? Are we now allowed to fish for them?

If so, do you have any ideas of where I can target these fish?

The DNR doesn't have to worry about me keeping any. I'm a c&r person no matter what the species.

The St Croix is usually open for a month with a slot and season limit.

Rainy river has fishing opportunities too... look in the border waters sections of your regulation booklet. There is no open season in the inland waters as far as I know.

First they are bottom feeders just like Catfish. I use the same hook set up for channels as I do for sturgeon. The only thing I use different is the bait. My preference for sturgeon is a cocktail, which entails a 2/0 wide bend hook loaded with as many dead minnows and earth worms as I can load up on it. Usually it is 3 minnows and 3 worms. These monsters are so light in the bite it actually isn't a bite it is a suck. They actually are lighter than perch, upon the sightest nibble set the hook and hold on. My best year so far is 19 sturgeon in 20 hrs of fishing.

They are my favorite fish right along with channels. I take my rod that has the most sensitive tip for sturgeon, just to feel the nibble. Good luck.