• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

roughfish for cutbait??

I was wondering what the legality would be behind using roughfish such as carp and dogfish for cutbait?? I always have a couple carp that are gut-hooked when i go fishing for them, and i am not gonna eat them cuz i dont have a smoker. Is it legal to cut them up and use them for cats or sunnies?

I asked a CO the same question once (carp specific) and he said yes, but I brought it up on here and got some no's.
IMHO carp would be okay, they are non-indigenous. Bowfin, however, are an indigenous part of ecosystem. Also, they are only preyed upon by other bowfin, which indicates to me that their meat may not attract other fish.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

From page 13 of the 2003 Mn regulation pamphlet, "Using whole or parts of gamefish, goldfish, or carp for bait is unlawfull". Seems pretty clear to me that it's a no-no.

Fisky

Using sucker, redhorse, buffalo, mooneye, etc, those are all legal to use as bait. But carp receives a no-no according to the law. I understand why live carp is illegal, too bad about the cut. Oh well, there are plenty of other species to use instead.

I was recently reading an article here about a guy angling for Catfish on the River Ebro in Spain. They were using live 2lb carp as bait and landed a 160lb cat shocked.gif. Mackerel, squid and large green lipped mussels are used frequently here, although deadbait coarse fish are also popular.