• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Topwater foam eating carp

EBass

I went to fish for cats and only could get a wee litte carp to hit, ok caught.

There were about 30 or so carp eating the foam in the eddy area I was fishing. What the heck is up with eating foam? Maybe there's bugs or something, but they were really thick bumping into each other.

Poor fishing, but neat to watch. Rather catch kittys though.

Yea I've seen that a lot, not sure what they are eating... you hear that sucking noise as they suck from the surface... I've seen it all year on the Mississippi River in the back eddy foam/scum..

They'll eat just about anything floating on the surface. one good bait to use when they are feeding like that is bread. It's hard to keep on the hook, but they love it! Also, flyfisherman can have good luck fishing carp off the surface.

Like Lunker said, I'd try fishing some bread. You can fish it on the bottom, but try it weightless on a 1/0 hook. Just form it around the hook to get the right buoyancy. The key is to get it heavy enough to cast with a spinning reel, but not have it sink right away. They've probably been feeding on cottonwood seeds the last couple weeks. Flyfishing might be a blast in this situation! Also, stick with the cut-bait for those cats. Cut-bait will always get you more action & bigger cats. Vern

Protrapper,

It was in an eddy area that does get to about 20' or so. But the foam moved around with the current and so did them carp.

Yep a lot of cottonwood seeds floating around.

I need to get more suckers and get dem kittys. Might try Sat night if it doesn't rain.

Thanks for the replies.