• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Caught my first buffalo yeterday...

Went down to the river to my carp and crappie spot yesterday. Caught a carp, a crappie, and my first buffalo ever. About 3 pounds. Lost a couple of 10 lb+ carp and another buffalo too.

where abouts were you fishing on teh river? i have been down to the river the last few weekends and been catching big carp. but i have only seen a few spots open in the river you dont have to say an exact location but just around the spot. just wondering.

------------------
Big D

Lunker do you fish there often? me and my friends go down there alot and we have only seen a few other people fishing down there. maybe i will see you down there sometime.

------------------
Big D

Big D, I also am down there all the time. Was fishing with Lunker yesterday. By the way, we went down there today Lunker and got a couple more largemouth along with a lot of big carp. The biggest weighed 14 lbs!

------------------
"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

were you guys down there a few weeks ago? me and my friends were down there and a couple of guys came down there. they were the first people that we have seen down there before. we were grilling some burgers and stuff so i am just wondering if it was you guys.

there were three of use and we were fishing for carp and crappies.

------------------
Big D

Wasn't me Big_D. Bobbo directed me to the spot a few weeks ago, been there about 4 or 5 times since then. Last time i went was the only time others were fishing. I'll be heading down there today after school for crappies and bass. If thats slow ill pick up some carp, thats always easy. I always end up catching some carp and buffalo down there though, its a nice break from ice fishing this time of the season.

Lunker are you going to be there this weekend? me and my friends are planning on heading down there sometime this weekend to do some carp and crappie fishing even though the crappie fishing has been horrible the last few times we have been down there. hope to see you down there.

------------------
Big D

The water is shallow and murky there. For crappies they are up in the culvert, but for carp i just throw a hook with corn onto the bottom. About a third of the carp get foul hooked, and the bites are sometimes hard to detect. If you go down there for carp, throw it out and every couple seconds gently lift the line to see if there is weight on the end. However, this upcoming warm up will cause a melt and the water is going to look like chocolate syrup, so fishing there may be bad.

Catch the big ones(then throw em back)

Big_D, I don't mean to discourage you, but its gonna be a bit iffy. I went down there yesterday(tues the 10th) and this melt has turned the water into something that resembles hersheys chocolate syrup. I couldnt even get a carp to bite. I'm gonna go down there tommorrow(thurs)and try again, so ill send a post when I get back, maybe luck will be better.

catch the big ones(then throw em back)

hey i know. once the ice starts melting the water gets really bad. the water closer to the river isnt as bad but the water is colder so there isnt as many fish in there. but i figure i could be fishing or i couldl be wishin i was fishin. and even though i probably wont catch much its better than not trying and sitting at home. i might try down there friday night to.

Big D

[This message has been edited by Big_D (edited 03-12-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Big_D (edited 03-12-2003).]

Hey isnt that side of the river by lake street bridge what they call bare butt beach where only men seem to hang out. Im a regular on the opposite side of the river. right time right spots and its great for smallies, pike,walleyes,sauger,and cats flat&channel. Nowdays I dont fish the carp as so much. But I would Like to catch a Buffalo fish. How can you tell its a Buffalo and what baits do you use? Keep Dragonem In!

Big_D, I went down there today, and it was even worse. I still might try again, I can't say no. The water was still black, but with the runoff came a lot of garbage. So it was a muddy water covered in trash, not a pretty sight. I fished there for carp and crappies and bass, but caught nothing, then went under the ford dam, and caught nothing. Skunked! I don't know where I am going to fish this weekend, but if you go down on friday, please report. Good luck

Dragon Fish II, the man beach you speak of is somewhere on the side we're fishing, but I hope they are not swimming in the drainage culvert! Plus I don't think there is anybody down there during the winter. It is a bit creepy still though, but the river always is. This winter I almost got in a knife fight with another teen who threatened to cut my balls off, fun! And last year a friend of mine(male) was followed while hiking by a guy jacking off to the sight of my friend hiking. I always carry my knife!
As far as the buffalo fish. I caught mine and lost another while fishing for carp with corn, they are around, but just not in as big of numbers as carp. They are darker then carp(kind of black) with a rounded head and a tall dorsal fin that tapers off(kind of like a quillback). Good luck

you only bring one knife? But yeah i agree with Lunker, it is really freaky down there. Never go down there without a knife or a BB or paintball gun.

------------------
"Contrary to what most people think, the smartest person in the world is not a scientist, a teacher, or even a writer, the smartest person in the world is the guy who figured out a way to get paid to go fishing."

I'm from Ma. so bear with me, what the heck is a buffalo fish? Youse guys out there have some of the strangest names for fish! Another question I have is. Is a crappie and a calico bass the same fish? Most people out here call them calicos.

Wishin2BFishin had to work :>(

A Buffalo is a very strange fish. It has the body and habits of a carp but it has horns similar to a Buffalo (mammal) and a furry hide instead of scales. Kind of like the Jackalopes you might see on South Dakota.

Calico's and Crappies are the same.

but in the early spring buffalo go into their orange stage as they shed their fur. One fun thing to do after the ice goes out is to walk around the lake with waders looking for buffalo antler sheds as they shed their antlers in January but cant get to them till the ice goes out

------------------
"Contrary to what most people think, the smartest person in the world is not a scientist, a teacher, or even a writer, the smartest person in the world is the guy who figured out a way to get paid to go fishing."

I kinda figured youse guys were tryin to see just how stupid us guys from Ma. are. Yuck Yuck It's funny how other parts of the USA things have other names like.. Soda pop is called a tonic and a milk shake is called a frappe. I guess it's the same for fish. Like a catfish is called a hornpout here. I hope you guys have a great weekend fishin. I'm going to my favorite pond in search of some Largemouth or in your case Bucketmouth bass.

Wishin2bFishin have to work for two more hours though.

Wishin'
I'm a foreigner, too. (VT) Once we realize that we come from places where everything we learned was wrong - we'll get along just fine. :eek

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

Wishin'

Let's just hope you don't get cornered by one........... Well if you did it'd be kind of funny cause if you got scared by a fish floppin' around, well then I don't think fishing is your cup of tea so to speak. And don't let them horns stick you. And by now I hope you've found that we are all pulling your chain (Sorry Guys.)

"Taken from Stoller Fisheries HSOforum"

Features and benefits: Buffaloes resemble carp, but have firm whiter meat and fewer bones. All of which makes high quality buffaloes excellent value for the dollar. Many consumers, with the fondness to fish, likens buffaloes to catfish. These fish can be cooked (even as gefilte fish), but in the Midwest United States, these fish are usually deep fried

Lunker yeah I did go on friday but not much luck. We had a few bites walking the shore fishing with jigs and curly tails. But didnt catch any.

I am thinking about going down there today and fishing for some carp. When we were down there last night the carp were all over the place.

By the way which way is that beach? I dont want to walk down that way shore fishing some time.

Lunker when do you plan on heading down there again?

------------------
Big D