• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Modifying Rapalas

JBMasterAngler

You would be better off trying to find somebody that does custom lure painting to repaint the baits you like to be the color you like.   Or get a spray can or two or an airbrush set from netcraft or somebody and give it a try.   I am not of the opinion that fish pay much attention to the pretty paint jobs anyway.  

Which rapala, btw?  

22 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

So I’m looking at some rapala colors I really like, but they only come in the deep diving variety (15+ ft). I just want the regular divers (12 ft). Is filing down the lip a possibility? Or would that compromise the action? Anyone ever try this?

Yes, you can shave some off the bill to get them to run shallower.  Bass pros do those types of mods all the time.  I used to put a cutting edge on some of my baits like the magnum wiggle wart to help cut through some weeds.  

The difference between us and pros though is the supply you have because it’s a trial and error thing; you might wreck some before getting it right where you like it.  It just takes patience and  don’t over do it between test swims.