• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm heading out to Pierre on Sat. 8/7; we're staying at Spring Creek Resort. Any info or ideas on where the walleyes will be? I haven't fished Oahe since 2000 and we're hoping the fish are bigger and healthier than they were then. Thanx!!

The best bite right now is from the mouth of the CHeyenne up to No Heart Creek. Some days limits come pretty easy. Most of the fish have been coming surprisingly shallow for this time of year. 15-25' seems to be pretty good most days. A plain hook with a bead with half a crawler has been the bait of choice. Although when I was out last weekend we caught just as many fish on leeches with a floater as we did on crawlers.

Hope this helps.

Hey Winks...

How was your trip? We thought the bite was pretty tough on Saturday after heavey rain/lightning storms Friday. We fished hard most of the day to boat 9 eyes. Most came from upriver, near Fantasy Island. 16 to 21 feet. We tried in vain to get a crankbait bite going to no avail! Would have boated more fish if we would have kept rigging live bait. Stormed pretty hard again on Saturday night, with some hail mixed in.

We also stayed at Spring Creek. I was more than impressed with the resort and the great group of people running it. I met John, Sean, Marlene, Charlie, and Wille-- and all were stand-up people. All had a great concept of the changing bite and best spots to be on the river. I would definitely recommended staying there to anyone looking for a great place for a fishing vacation. The guides I talked to were all top notch to boot!

How did you do fishing?

Duck-o-holic

Well Duck-O, thanks for asking but the fishing was terrible. 6 guys, 3 boats, 3 days, and only 4 walleyes. I had the hot hand, caught 2 nice 20 inch fish in 18-20 feet but the walleyes were few and far between.

We got there late Sat afternoon and saw the storms that night. Sunday and Monday were both cool and sunny with 20-30 MPH winds from the northwest. Real tough conditions to fish! Tues was calm in the morning until the next front rolled in about 1:00 PM. Dark as night clouds, pouring rain, hail, howling winds. We got off the lake when we saw it coming and got back to the cabin just in time. Went back out that evening for a bit but the wind was still howling. Fished for a couple hours and finished up catching a 37 inch northern

Great trip but according to all the reports we got, the fish were scattered from 5-50 feet and not that interested in eating. I'm sure if the weather stabilizes that bite will be back on.

The cool weather was a real surprise. I never thought I'd be on Oahe in August in jeans, T-shirt, jean shirt, and my raincoat and be comfortable.

[This message has been edited by winks (edited 08-12-2004).]