• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I always been taught that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. That is why have'nt put up a report. After the recent weather systems have put me in a relatively fish free slump, the weather is improving and so is the walleye and perch bite.

Twin Lakes, (81 Sloughs) the walleyes are being caught off the grade just before dark. I was out last night and only had one fish to show for, but the folks just down from me had a few. Nothing fast and furious, but a fairly safe bet. Jigs and minnows have been walleyes preferred meals.

Lake Sinai, On again, off again has been the story all spring. Now the stable summer patterns are starting to take hold. Fish are being caught pulling plugs, pitching jigs and slip bobbers. The points and rocky areas have been the most popular spots, but the SE bay is starting to give up some quality fish. The fish are concentrated so cover water and once you find one you will find others in the same spot.
Beware of the mighty large bullheads that cruise the lake. They love them leeches. We have caught 6 proud anglers in the last week. grin.gif

Brush Lake, not too much talk going on but there has been a few vehicles along HWY 14 and some boats out there every day. Perch or walleyes? The walleyes are big and the perch are plentiful so don't be afraid to give it a try.

Lake Thompson, I have not been out there myself for a while, but all I hear is "lots of fish". I am going to head out there this afternoon to give it a whirl! Leadcore in the basin has been giving up the larger 'eyes.

The bite is on right now and will continue to get better for the next few weeks, so get out and enjoy and nice evening in the boat or on shore. I highly doubt you will be disappointed.
See you on the water!
mw

Thanks for the report. The South Dakota Forum seems to be lacking in that area. I try to post reports, it's just that I don't get out fishing a lot and when I do, it's nothing to write home to mom about.

Thanks for the info, Mike. Went to Brandt for 2 hours Thurs. night. Caught 2 bullheads and 2 small walleyes. Looks like a lot of people fishing the NE corner for Crappie. Crappie being caught at Lake Madison but they are small 10in.

Later

I was up camping at Bigstone Lake for the weekend. I had the misfortune of motor troubles during the first 15 minutes of the trip, so my boat and I were land lovers all weekend. frown.gif I did manage to pick off one striped bass from the shore at my campsite. I watched to RCL SD league weigh-ins and the bite seemed to be off. Only about half the teams brought in fish.
The fish that were caught came by pulling plugs behind planer boards on the south end of the lake.

I will be limeted to shore fishing for the next week or two so I'm sure I will have somthing to report about Brush, and Twin Lakes.

Anyone have Dak. Sportsman info? I heard 22 pounds won on Sat.? (WOW)
mw

[This message has been edited by Mike Walerak (edited 06-13-2004).]

Mike, I fished the tourny saturday but we didnt bring in a fish. My pro had some spots where he said he had 6lbers and an occasional 9 goin but the sun came out saturday and shut everything he had down. A lot of boats didnt weigh a fish.

We fished the Dakota Sportsman Tourney. There were some nice weights indeed. The first day (6 fish weighs) 20 lbs took it. Sunday 23 pounds won it.

The bite is not fast though.

Jigga-
We got 2nd on Saturday, 4th on Sunday, which left us with the 2nd overall prize.
The only thing I can say is we got **** lucky two days in a row. After getting our butts kicked on that lake last year, it was nice to do well.

Report as of 6/19/04

I nearly had tears in my eyes when our car drove out of town this morning for a visit to the in-laws. Not because of our destination, but because all the biting fish I would be leaving behind.

Poinsett and Twin have been the most reliable for quality fish and numbers of them. My evening runs to Twin Lakes have produced 3-4 walleyes ranging from 18-24 inches and a handfull of white bass to keep things interesting. The size has not been great on the white bass but there are plenty of them to be had. The larger 'eyes and white bass have seemed to show a preferance for small plugs cranked in at slower speeds.

Lake Sinai has great fishing going on as well. The Thursday night leage had many teams bringing in limits of quality fish. A 7 pounder took big fish honors this week. Our bag was a far cry from the big fish, but I'm pretty sure we had more fun jerking the 50+ walleyes out that evening. Our largest was 16 incher, but the bulk of the fish were 13.5 inches. After talking to people I did not hear of a fish caught in water deeper than 10 feet.

I hope this gives a few of you a little encouragement to get the waders or the boat out this weekend.

Walleye Wacker,
Too bad I missed you, I was at the entire weigh-in.

Rost,
Way to go grin.gif What was the tactic that worked?
I had heard many came by plugs and drifting spinners. I also heard there were 20 fish over 27 inches weighed in. shocked.gif