• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunflower Hearts

JBMasterAngler

I bought a bag of the hearts and chips because I got sick of the mass of sunflower shells on the ground. Now, it’s only been a couple days, but it sure seems like I have a lot less cardinal activity at my feeders since making the switch. Do cardinals prefer the shelled seeds? 

They love them, I used to get 40# sacks for $16 in Thief River Falls at Hunters Outlet. Haven't had to work up there for a couple years now, it was a great buy.

One draw back was the small moths coming from the bag in the warm months. Came back from fishing in Alaska to a garage full of them one time. 

Edited by Grainbelt

Well, it’s been a few more days. Cardinals are eating it, but they don’t seem to prefer it. Must be a lower quality seed, perhaps? I’m only getting 1 or 2 cardinals now, as opposed to the 10 to 12 I was getting before. Also not getting the sunset feeding frenzy anymore. The redpolls love it though. Anyway, do you guys do anything to help prevent sunflower shell messes, or do anything to clean them up, or do you just deal with the mess?

Broom and shovel then Shop Vac in the spring if it's real heavy. Or leaf blower to spread out on the yard to break down if lighter. The cardinals are preferring the white millet on the ground right now 3 to 1 where I live. The other feed I am using is sunflower and safflower.