• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pheasant report from Selby S. Dakota

Did you by chance stay and/or hunt at the Prairie Pillow?

They had a fantastic bird population on their land last fall and winter. Their P.O. is Selby, and they're a few miles north of Akaska.

NO...I stayed at a friends uncles in selby. This spring the locals where excited about all the birds they where seeing, but it was so dry this summer that the chick either baked in the egg or didn't get any dew(Water). We did hit pockets of a lot of birds. Still alot of corn standing also. I love that country.

Altho I've often hunted North Dakota, I have not hunted South Dakota. I stayed a Prairie Pillow a year ago Sept on a fishing outing with my son-in-law and my brother and his son. We used two boats and fished Oahe to the north at Mobridge and south out of the Akaska launch (Swan Creek?).

Not only did we see tons of birds, we saw both whitetail and mule deer. It is great county.

Got back on Thursday after hunting the opener 45 miles southwest of Aberdeen. Great hunting, 68 birds between 5 of us! We had to work for our birds, picking up 2 here, 4 there, 0 in some spots, then all of a sudden you get 8. Ran into 4 inches of snow, which helped bunch up the birds. Had a couple of flushes of 20-30 birds, and in one spot, a WPA next to a cornfield, we must have jumped 150-200 birds!! Fun! One of the problems we ran into was that a lot of the low areas had been cut for hay, reducing the number of hunting spots. On the plus side, theres lots of standing corn and sunflowers which bodes well for our return trip in November! I can't wait!