• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

338-378 vs 338 lapua

Looking at getting a big caliber gun and into some long distance shooting and also maybe hunt with (elk/bear possibly) with it, in doing some research on both calibers I'm torn on which one they have some differences belted not belted, bullet selection available, ballistics....anybody??

I faced the same question. I went with the 338 lapua based on internet searches and talking to a few people who do a lot of shooting. bullet selection will be them same since both are 338 cal. 338 brass might be easier to get if you reload. ballistic wise they are pretty close but to get full potential out of either plan on spending as much or more for scope as you did for the rifle. I bought the savage 110 and it shoots very well and recoil is not bad at all

I found more info today and in looking at ballistics once you get over 350- 400 yds the lapua catches up and retains velocity and energy better due to better B.C, in fact a 300 gr lapua has less drop off than a 250 grain weatherby 338-378 far out. As far as I can tell the bullet selection for the lapua is much better I can only find a few weatherby rounds with a top grain of 250 all made my weatherby? Seems like the bullets much be better for lapua or why would 2 same caliber bullets very in B.C so much 473 vs 640 according to info I read.

With the .338-378 I think you are limited to what Weatherby has for factory ammunition (unless you reload). By the looks of things Weatherby only reloads hunting specific ammunition. The Nolser partition bullet is a flat based design and the BC of that bullet it will be a lot less than the 300 grain MatchKing which is a boattail design and is built for long range target shooting.

With the .338 Lapua it looks like you have a wide array of both hunting ammunition and target ammunition.

I would personally go with the Lapua.