• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vikings radio honk

IFallsRon

It took me 3 years of my life to figure out Paul Allen, now I pass on his P.A. and Dubay Show. Dubay can be a little whiny sometimes, but overall he seems solid. Chad Abbott the producer seems like a real professional.

Don't buy into his seemingly Homer (Hometeam loving) attitude, its really just a poor acting job. The guy is all about making a buck, he could be in any city in America and ride the bandwagon to the bank or boot licking.

His sports speculation is pretty uninformed, the self proclaimed "NBA Pimp", always gets destroyed by I believe by Trent Tucker and J.B. Bickerstaff.

That shouting of "NO, the vinkings have just been knocked out of the playoffs by the cardinals" was a rip off from other NFL radio announcers prior that week or weekend. You can here it in his voice. The other guys sounded like their hearts were just ripped out of their chests. He was just waiting to use that one.

Let's just say he tries a little to hard to be one of "you guys" a Minnesotan.

But I would rather listen to the radio broadcast over any TV announcers. You can only having the obvious stated to you so many times.

We've been spoiled by more professional-sounding "talent."

KFAN is a waste or radio bandwidth. There's some substance from Hartman and Barriero although some days they seem to wear dresses. I bounce around the internet but listen a lot to 1310 The Ticket out of Dallas.

I couldn't agree more. All of the people on the "FAN" are completely in love with themselves. That's not to say that most radio talent isn't, because they are, but the "FAN" personalities are especially self indulgent. My sports-talk radio listening days haven't been the same since Chucky Booms was removed from FOX Sports radio a couple of years ago. I was utterly dissappointed and thus turned to the "FAN." After listening to the "FAN" for the past two years, and about every six months tuning out of personality after personality, starting with "The Common Man" I've completely deleted that station from my preset panel. The only show that I will ocasionally dial in now is "Bumper to Bumper" but following his departure from, as he reminds us every other minute, "his former news paper" I've about given it up. It just seems like all of these personalities have to keep reminding us who they are because they are petrified that everyone will wise up and tune out. Just think of how many times in any given episode you hear these phrases:

Power Trip: "Former long snapper of the Minnesota Vikings"

PA and Dubay: "No! The Cardinals have knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs"

Common Man: (Fill in your own)

Hartman: "Is that a certain family member of mine?"

Bumper to Bumper: "my former newspaper"

It's like they each did something one time in the past and then are riding the coat tails, to each there own, but I've had my fill.

Oh yeah, if you want good political talk tune into Shelby from 3-5 on 830

[This message has been edited by SCCO9803 (edited 07-16-2004).]

Garage logic with Joe(the mayor) is hard to beat on the drive home. I used to listen to the fan but I cant stand that hartmans whiney puberty sounding voice. One day he had Mchale on and all he could do was rip on him for hunting.Oh big man go in woods with big gun and kill defensless little animal. I swear hes on a mission with Al frankin to broadcast all the liberal B.S he can. Its not even a sports station anymore.

Agreed Iron Cowboy,
The "FAN" is not a sports station anymore, you are exactly right about it being an egocentric political melting pot, and the members of the "FAN" are the ones stiring it. As knowledgable as they believe they are, maybe they should just run everything, they've certainly groomed their egos enough to think so. And yes Garage Logic is quite good!

[This message has been edited by SCCO9803 (edited 07-16-2004).]

I keep waiting for Kiley or the Booms to show up some place. It was a pretty cheesy deal when they both got the hook. First Booms and then a long list of dorks that must have sent Kiley to the municipal.

What's funny about KFAN is that the knobhead who does the hiring rides shotgun with Hartman and adds nothing. He must only hire guys as bright as himself. He went through the same Comm program I did at Bemidji State. I had to take some radio in my core. The radio teacher told me that I didn't have what it took to be on the radio. I remember that often and am thankful every day.

I think that PA's the man. PA and Dubay is my favorite show on the radio. I think they're hilarious. The power trip has been to Fargo a couple of times and PA and Dubay also. I think they should talk more about sports on the other shows though. It could be worse, you could be in LA or NY with those guys. You could be in Chicago with Sam Smith coming up with a new KG to the Bulls rumor once a month(week?). I just wanted to get my two cents in. PA if you're reading this, I love you man.

I have to agree with most of the things you say. To borrow a soundbite from Hartman : "Talk about (a) guy(s) with (a) healthy ego(s)". It could be extended to many of the folks within the FAN. Apparently there isn't enought sports in Minnesota to talk about and talking about "who the Vikings will select in round 8 of the draft" is too shallow. The only mostly all sports program is PA and Dubay, or Sludge and Lake if that counts. I'm a PA and Dubay fan though because I believe you can live your life as a glass half full or glass half empty guy but its easier as a glass half full guy (you also live longer). I would say that I have noticed, as another writer pointed out, that PA is as smooth as a used car salesman. I don't trust him or anythign he pimps. Overall I listen to the FAN when I'm burnt out on music. I listen to most of their programs, mostly because these guys are all high and mighty on themselves and they can often get worked up over the stupidest things. Some of the shows can be funny from time to time, if you dont' mind some overpaid snobs with inside jokes "riding the coattails of their or others previous works". A lot of times you have to listen to the FAN for a while, and more specifically, certain programs, to get "it", "it" being the inside jokes and similar "bits" that are done from time to time.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. smile.gif