• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jerk Bait fishing ?

Jeff13

Two questions for you guys. Looking to buy a true jerkbait set up. I've seen guys using spinning gear and guys using baitcasting setups. Is this just a personal preference deal or is there a time and place or each?

#2 do you guys tie direct or do any of you use a quick change snap to change baits quickly.

Thanks

Most of my fishing in the early spring and fall is on spinning gear. The reason I use this is because I love using 8lbs fluoro with my jerkbaits...especially in cold clear water lakes. I will throw them on a casting setup if I'm throwing a deep diving jerkbait or the lucky craft pointer 100

I use a Fenwick HMG 7' MH MF spinning rod with 20lb braid, last 5 ft blackened out and a snap. If gin clear water, I'll use a fluoro leader. Love this set up for small to medium size jerkbaits with a lighter set drag. My main problem is line-twist, usually on a windy day on the cast causing the bait to spin in the air. Anyone else have this issue?

MF. You could add a small swivel between the braid and flouro. ( the lures like to twist in the air) Also; do you relax your line. Even braids will develop twists. ( IE. To relax braid; tie one end to something solid using a swivel. Pull the line out, pull on the rod putting a nice bend in it and let down four or five times. Let the line fall to the ground, then repeat the process. Do this a few times, the reel it back on keeping tension on it. Should help! I do this about every other time i fish. smile

Hiya -

For smaller baits like Pointer 78s and Slender Pointers, etc., which I use a lot for smallies, I use spinning gear. I use a 7' ML X-Fast rod, 10# fireline and a fluoro leader. I like braid because I can cast baits a mile and still control them very precisely, without the stretch of mono or the drag of fluoro. Plus hooking % is excellent even on a long cast. You have to be a little careful not to overwork the bait with no stretch line, especially in cold water, but you can't beat the feel and knowing exactly what your bait's doing.

For bigger baits, I use casting gear (a 6'10" Med power rated as a mod-fast that's closer to a fast action) and 10# fluoro.

Speaking of jerkbaits...just picked up 4 of the new Rapala Shadow Raps. Man those things look awesome. Bought 2 of the regular and 2 of the deep. Love the fact that they came out with a deep version for 4-8ft and slow sinking. The deep ones could be killer in the early spring!

^I agree! Haven't held one yet but I have a feeling I may buy one or 10 in a month or two. It's funny because I've been thinking how rapala could benefit from a husky jerk style bait similar to strikeking.

Delmuts, I'm going to have to try that!

P.S. I'm using the set up I mentioned above in my Minnesota Bronzebacks video/thread.

I only use baitcasters for my jerkbait fishing. I grew up down in OK on Grand Lake and that is a great jerk bait lake. I am a little old school in my rod selection. I have a custom made 6 foot medium pistol grip. Paired with a Curado 50 spooled with 8# flouro. I have a few other pistol grips, but that length and action is my favorite. I use a 5-6 medium light pistol grip too, but the 6 foot is better for casting distance and working a fish.

In my opinion the best jerk bait rod on the market is the Falcon Cara jerk bait special. Perfect length and action, I have used it a lot and it is really nice.

For those guys using the 7 foot rods I really don't see how you use them unless you are about 6-6. I am just under 6 foot and a 5 footer is plenty long for me and not hitting the water. Also when looking at a rod for jerk baiting you need to look at the handle legth so you can give the right amount of jerk or pop to the lure and not drag it.

Just my .02.

Something to be said for pistol grips for sure hydra. Short range roll casts, nothing's more accurate. I used to have a pistol grip I used for topwaters around docks and stuff, got rid of it, still miss it. What an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly...

I fish from a deep-v with higher decks so a 7-footer is a non-issue with me, plus it's a spinning rod so with a longer butt section the business end is probably comparable to a shorter casting rod. If you're lower to the water though, yeah, a shorter rod can be better. The 6'10" casting rod I have is a composite Powell and it's a great jerkbait rod.

I went to Gander on Saturday and couldn't find any Shadow Raps, so I ask an employee where they are and he says they have boxes of them in the back, but he couldn't sell me one because they haven't finished inventory. They even had signs posted all over the front doors advertising them. That's pretty messed up to advertise something you aren't selling. It was the only reason I went there.

I caved in and bought one for $9 at Cabelas to check one out(tough for this cheap skate to pay on one lure). Then I was at Runnings last night in Monti and they had them there for $8. Darn it, that's a whole buck I lost out on. All there Rapalas seem cheaper than Cabelas and Gander. 5.99 for a DT compared to 7.50 at Cabelas.