• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

swimming jigs

fishin4life90

hey everyone

i was wondering about swimming jigs? i overheard some guys at the bait shop talkin about it.is it just plain jigs with no plastics on them just regular plain jigs?
and it actually works?im goin out tommorrow morning and i'll have to try that. where do i fish the jigs? and what do i put on the jig like tubes if anything? thanks everyone
all info will be greatly appreciated smile.gif

I think some companies make swimming jigs, but you can use normal jigs. Most people put some sort of a trailer on their jigs (I mostly use pork).

Swimming jigs is not hard to do, just reel and pump the rod up and down. The hard part is to keep the jig swimming right at the top of a weedbed without getting to far in or above it.

I havnt had luck swimming big bass jigs, but have done ok swimming tube jigs.

i like to swim a regular rattle bass jig with a pork or plastic trailer in the spring.( cold water) don't know why it would work the rest of the year to.many times when tossing jigs i'll fish the spot i want, then swim the jig back to me instead of just picking it up and moving to the next spot. del

I just started swimming jigs this summer, and it has been pretty good to me. Here is a discussion we had on swimming jigs a little while back http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum57/HTML/000770.html

When I'm swimming jigs I use a regular white bass jig, with a big white grub for a trailer, you can swim it pretty much anywhere you want -- docks, reeds, weeds, rocks. It works great and is fished a lot like a spinnerbait, you just pump the rod while you bring it in at a fast speed. You can also drop it into hole in the weeds to see if you can't pick up a bite on the fall.

Good luck!

Bob Downey

When a new technique rips the bass fishing community wide open, I like to be informed and up to date on the lures and companies involved. The swimming jig busted onto the scene early this spring. Although a few articles have made it to print in recent years, the technique did not gain acceptance until this year. In my search for a good swimming jig, I came across RC Tackle and its line of products. Soft plastics, jigs, buzzbaits, and spinnerbaits are available from this Iowa tackle dealer.

RC Tackle makes a great swimming jig. The shape of head, a light wire hook, and a balanced design create a lure that swims through cover with ease and catches fish. The pointed shape of the head slides through the grass and eases through cover effortlessly. The light wire hook is hard to find from most jig manufacturers. The swimming jig hook penetrates quickly for better hookup ratio. Finally, the jig shape keeps the lure from spinning, which makes the lure run upright and straight. The angler can order the jigs with or without skirts, which makes creating that special jig easier.

The tube and grub jig bequeaths another option for anglers who use grubs and tubes on a lead head. The weedless model comes with a Mustad Ultra Point™ hook and a wire weed guard. Open hooks catch more fish than buried hook. With several sizes to choose from, there is sure to be a head to match your fishing situation

Swimming Jigs have been a main stay on the river circuits for quite a few years now. I use these throughout the year where ever a spinnerbait is used. Clear water would be the best. The RC Tackle jig is definately the jig to use. It is very weedless and balanced. You want a weedless jig for obvious reasons and you want the balance so the jig stays upright and does not spin. I normally use this bait in clear water and burn it just below the surface. In most cases you will not need any other action, the grub will do that for you. I also try and match my colors to the prevelant forage. If it is spring and the panfish are spawning, I go for a sunfish or crappie color. On the rivers I like smokes and blacks because the fish are normally on a shad bite.