• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice on a new Cannon Camera

My advise, buy the cheaper T5 and save your money for better lenses. Keep in mind bodies change almost yearly with new features and upgrades. The old adage spend money on good glass not bodies applies here. As you are starting out and you gain experience you will find out the things in a camera that are important to you. At a later date you will likely move up to a more advanced body when you decide what features you need for your type of shooting. I've been through at least 7 or 8 different bodies but am still shooting most of my original lenses since I switched to digital.

I don't get hung up on "scores" or brand loyalty. You will find a camera that fits you and a menu system that is comfortable to you. All cameras these days from all the manufacturers are good. What you will learn is that you are buying into a system. As you invest in better lenses you will find it difficult to switch brands because of the cost. I've said this so many times here it should be a permanent sticky! Don't invest a lot of money starting out until you find out your needs in a camera.

If you need more advice please ask.

Reason I kind of like the t5i is it sounds a little more user friendly with the touch screen etc. Easier to operate might be easier to learn new things? One thing about cameras is they make way to many models to choose from and replace them with new models way to fast.

Think $700 for this pkg is a good deal? Cant find it any cheaper on the net and don't think Ive seen it any cheaper lately.

Mostly I am happy with pics from my I phone but what I really miss is the telephoto lens shots. Plan on traveling more in the future and just want a good camera for all around use. If that makes any sense

Think $700 for this pkg is a good deal? Cant find it any cheaper on the net and don't think Ive seen it any cheaper lately.

?

Don't see a package? Just copy and paste the info here.

Take a look at this thread from the past couple of days as well, relevant info for you as well.

More camera buying information

If you're happy with your I Phone pics, then I would recommend a bridge camera with a super zoom. You'll have the potential for much better photos, have near the flexibility of a dslr, and don't have to carry around multiple lenses. Plus, you'll save oodles of money. I just downgraded from a Canon system and couldn't be happier.I had a couple Canon bodies and several lenses with just one left to sell and it's much easier grabbing my do all camera and away I go. Now that I don't have to lug around a 3 1/2 lb. lens attached to the camera, I take my camera along on many of my dog walks now. I typically don't find anything to shoot, but at least I have it with me just in case and it doesn't weigh me down. A good zoom or telescopic lens for the Canon camera is going to cost you well over $1000. My bridge camera with built in zoom cost me around $250 and it's capable of excellent photos. Just sayin...

I used to have a canon sx3ois. loved the zoom but did not like the low light pics once it got over iso400. lotta fun tho on sunny days. so I changed to the dslr and like it better. sure is spendier but funner. I really like the 18-300 lens! That 50 power zoom canon has now looks like fun.

loved the zoom but did not like the low light pics once it got over iso400.

Cameras keep being improved. The only photo I took today was of a pair of shoes hanging in a tree. smile It was a dark and dreary day so I shot at ISO 800 and Av5.6 and still got only 1/25 sec. shutter speed out of it. However, I found no grain in the photo, even on the black soles. I did make darned sure I exposed as far to the right as I could without blowing any highlights. That can make all the difference in the world.

Watched a good video on u tube that compares a Nikon D5300 to a Cannon T5i. I think for the more experienced person that knows how things work and what they do on a camera navigating the menu on the Nikon wouldn't be to bad. However for more of a beginner like me the Cannon looks a lot easier to at least start using. And the touch screen and some of the features are pretty nice to. So for now I think I will go with the T5i. I think it will work fine for what I want to do or am capable of doing with a camera right now. Hope to take some classes down the road and maybe Ill have a different opinion on the next one. Thanks