• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

98 Malibu 3.1 steering leaking and no assist

Wife came home friday saying the steering wasn't working. I checked fluid and added a ton. LEt it sit in garage while we went north. There is a big puddle the right side, under the pump area. I drove it and it has little to no assist. I added some more fluid but same thing, I was hoping I coudl tell if pump is dead or not.

Where or how might I look for the leak, and what might it likely be? Would I be lucky enough it is just a pump ($64 at napa) and is it hard to swap?

Thanks! Trying to keep this old thing going smile

The three things it could be is the pump, hoses or steering rack. To determine which it is, start the car and have somebody turn the steering wheel while you watch. If it leaks a lot while turning, it's probably the pressure hose. If I remember correctly, this is a common failure on this model. If it doesn't leak any more or less while turning, the problem could then be the pump or rack. Leaks can be tough to find when everything is already saturated, so you may have to wash it off to track it down if it's a slower leak.

Just an update - it was even easier than expected. The return line (low pressure) just came apart at the joint, and now I recall I had to fix that previously. I used a new hose clamp and its working like a champ. Get to return my hoses, and the repair cost me about $5 just for the fluid and free clamp from buddy smile