• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anyone know of good choc Lab breeder

bucksnort64

Sorry to hear about your loss- very tough to go through!

I picked up my chocolate, now 3, at Smith Farms Labradors in Grove City. Amazing job done by them, even when it comes down to temperament training during feeding time before the pups leave the farm.

Note- they do have a HSOforum with pictures of their breeding dogs, as well as pups and it's kept up to date. Just search for 'Smith Farms Labradors' and they are the top result.

Best of luck to you, and feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions-

Cobber

I had a dog from Smith Farms. Best dog I ever had.

I hunt as a hobby not a profession so I don't hunt more than maybe 10 - 20 days a year. So the other 345 to 355 days a year the dog is relegated to family member. wink So I look for a well-behaved, calm dog since ours stay in our home. We also duck hunt a fair amount so I also look for a dog with the traditional lab coat that will keep them a little warmer when the water temps start to drop. Dogs with show champion lines will be bread with that coat in mind along with the typical health concerns that come with breeding labs (hips, elbows, eyes, etc.)

The dog I had was extremely calm at home. She got energetic enough when we were at the field or lake. She also had an excellent nose.

Another breeder I have experience with is Whispering Pines near Milaca. They are also top-notch. We have a dog from them right now. Both the dog we have now and the dog we had from Smith Farms are/were smaller labs. 60 - 65 lbs, ~19" at the shoulder. For the first dog I wasn't looking at getting a smaller lab but I really liked all those lab qualities in a slightly smaller package grin

Sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy. Good luck finding a new hunting / ice fishing partner.

Check out http://www.[note from admin: please read forum rules before posting again]com/ and Troy Tilleras. They produce excellent dogs with clearances with the person like you in mind. Hunting and family dogs with the pedigree to back it up and be easy to train and live with.