• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2003 Fod E350 Fuel Pump

My 2003 Ford E30 with the V10 6.8L hiccuped and quit running on the interstate late Saturday over 200 miles from where I live. Have AAA and had them tow it to a AAA approved repair facility in Springfield, MO. Got a call from them this morning saying there was a $110 fee to diagnose the problem. Asked if that was waived if they did the repair and they said no. So let's get to price. They STRONGLY suggested a Motorcraft pump, and quoted me $1,050 to replace. That included the diagnostic fee, part cost of $596, labor cost of $277.50, the balance to $1,050 was for a new fuel filter, tax and shop fees. I need some input! Does this seem reasonable? I have never had to have this done before. What do you think of aftermarket pumps? They said they fail too often in their opinion. I asked the cost difference and they said $235. Just to fill you in on the diagnosis, no fuel pressure, voltage good all the way to the pump, pump not energizing. If I was at home and my normal mechanic quoted me that price I would be O.K., but I really don't know this place at all. Thanks in advance!

I was told to never let the fuel tank get below one quarter full, reason, the pump uses the fuel in the tank to keep cool so it doesn;t burn out. I have owned 2 chev. and three fords with in tank pumps and followed this rule and I have yet too replace a fuel pump. Maybe just lucky, I don;t know.

I think it was my 02 F150 that had the fuel pump go out fairly soon after I got it. It was under warranty and they even paid the tow. Might be the subject of a recall now. Just a guess. But since you're stuck 200 miles from home then I guess you have few options. Or none actually.