• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

One Deer License Expected for 2015

Game and Fish to Recommend One Deer License in 2015

A new plan under consideration by the State Game and Fish Department would allow North Dakota deer hunters only one license per year, starting with the 2015 season.

The preferred license distribution plan is the result of a declining deer population and continuing high license demand. “This year we had about 30,000 people who applied for a deer gun license and didn’t get one in the lottery,” said Game and Fish wildlife division chief Jeb Williams. “This new system will give more people an opportunity to hunt deer each year, compared to our current system.”

To gather input on possible changes, Game and Fish held a series of public deer management meetings across the state last winter. Hundreds of people attended these meetings, and many more interested hunters and landowners also provided written or verbal comments on how Game and Fish might manage deer license distribution, given the low population of both whitetail and mule deer in much of the state.

Following the deer management meetings, potential changes were also discussed at the spring round of public Game and Fish advisory board meetings held around the state.

“After evaluating all the input we received last winter,” Williams said, “the general feedback we heard is that hunters understand there is no longer enough licenses so that everyone can get one for the gun season, but at the same time, they don’t feel the current system is equitably distributing licenses, since some hunters can get two or even three licenses when thousands of hunters get none.”

To begin to address that inequity, Game and Fish’s preferred option for 2015 is to limit each hunter to one deer license per year. Williams said that still doesn’t guarantee that every gun hunter who applies in the lottery will get a deer license, but it will eliminate the possibility of someone getting multiple licenses.

If deer populations rebound substantially, Williams said the way licenses are allocated could return to the current system. “However, we are dealing with two dynamics that will make it difficult to do so anytime soon,” Williams added. “We have a deer herd that has been trending downward for several years, and we also have a growing population of people who possibly are interested in North Dakota’s hunting and fishing opportunities.”

In the preferred option, a hunter who is successful in the deer gun lottery would not be able to purchase a bow license or receive a muzzleloader license. However, as a way to provide additional bowhunting recreation, a hunter with a lottery gun license could also hunt with a bow any time during the open archery season, but only for the deer and unit specified on the license.

Resident hunters who apply in the deer gun lottery and do not receive a license, will still be able to purchase a bow license that is valid statewide for any deer.

“This is one of those things that we heard from people who like to hunt with both gun and bow,” Williams said. “They wanted to be able to apply for a gun license, and if they didn’t get one, they could still get a bow license. At the same time, if they did draw a gun license, they wanted a chance to hunt that deer with a bow during the archery season as well.

“We know it’s not the same as having both a gun and a bow license,” Williams added, “but we feel it’s a fair compromise while we work toward rebuilding our deer herd.”

Another part of the preferred option is that hunters would be able to apply simultaneously for the deer gun and muzzleloader lotteries. The application would allow choice of a preference, so if the hunter’s name is drawn and both muzzleloader and deer gun licenses are available at that time, the computer would issue the hunter’s preferred license.

In such cases, the computer would then remove the hunter’s name from the other lottery. Also in that case, Williams said a hunter would maintain the accumulated bonus points for the application that was removed from the lottery.

In addition, Williams said hunters will not lose any bonus points if they choose not to apply for a particular license.

Youth hunters under age 16 would be exempt under the preferred option, and could get a bow license as well as a deer gun or youth season license.

Gratis license holders could hunt in any open season on their own land, but may only get one license per year.

This will not increase buck tags for rifle hunter much.What it will do is increase the number of doe tag opportunities for rifle hunters as a second choice.

Bow hunters applying for a rifle tag won't put down a doe for second choice because that would be the only tag they could get and would not be able to hunt a buck at all.Plus it would be for a specific unit not statewide.

So rifle hunters who try to get a buck tag and didn't would have a better chance to get a doe rifle tag as a second choice.

I also like the part that you won't lose your points if you don't apply.You keep your points as long as you want.

Really will not make much if any difference to me. I use to do both archery and gun in ND when I could pull a gun tag but with the continued rise in NR costs for a license, I have decided MN or another state like Wisc will be my new stomping grounds for deer.

I simply cannot justify almost $560 for a rifle and bow tag.

All of this license issue will go away as soon as we have a couple easier winters.

They talk there is such a low herd count yet during the rifle season, I saw 51 deer in approx. 8 hours and I would say those are darn good numbers. During the Twist of fate hunt we put on every year in Sept, all the attendee's saw a lot of deer and the harvest numbers were very good considering the poor weather we had for the hunt.

I would agree some areas are way down in numbers but some area's do have a good healthy deer herd, least from what I have seen in the woods.