• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clam's Ice Armor Sub Zero Boots - Are They For You?

full-3704-50663-subzerosmall.jpg

As both of my sons outgrew their hunting/ice fishing boots not long ago, we set out to find what would best fill their needs for an all-season boot. Their "needs" included...

1. Multi-Season

2. Warmth

3. Comfortable

4. Easy To Slip On

5. Affordable

So far, we've found the Ice Armor Sub Zero's are filling their "needs". The Sub Zero's are more comfortable than we thought and are easy to slip on using the pull-on handles.

full-3704-50671-handle.jpg

For hunting and ice fishing, we've never owned boots that would allow us to tuck our pants inside. We're feeling this has already proved a positive since the mud from swamps and trails have stayed were it belongs, on the boot and not their pants legs. We're thinking this will be a positive after standing in slush while ice fishing, too.

full-3704-50673-water.jpg

As for warmth, our experience so far has been a "thumbs up" from a few three hour, 25-degree morning sits on the archery stands and hiking through ice-skimmed swamps. Coming from a "cold-toe" family, that's a positive sign. wink

full-3704-50674-mud_ice.jpg

Cleaning the Sub-Zero's is a matter of spraying 'em down at the end of the day.

full-3704-50676-wash.jpg

And, slipping them off using the built-in heel kicker before heading into the cabin.

full-3704-50677-heelkickoff.jpg

From our initial few weeks of pretty heavy use - yes, I wore his pair when my oldest son went back to college after his weekend visit whistle - we're likin' what we're feelin' smile

Seems like a good boot for nominally cool temps, but IMHO 1200 gram thinsulate is not really enough for extended sits in extremely cold weather. They should have called them the "around-zero", as a true "sub-zero" boot would have more thinsulate.

I have to say at first I was skeptical of these but after taking a chance on them I won't wear anything but these. I wasn't sure if they would be warm since they are a rubber boot but they turned out to be warmer then I thought they would be. I pair these with the ice armor liner socks and the merino wool socks and my feet stay really warm. I also found that going up one size from your normal shoe size allowed for the extra thickness of the wool socks. I kind of did a unintentional test of just how warm these are last year. I was walking out on this one lake during early ice and I ended up putting my foot and boot down a skimmed over 10 inch hole that was hid by a dusting of snow. let's just say I got a wet foot. pulled my foot out of the hole and took off the boot and dumped out the water then put it back on and proceeded to fish the rest of the day with a wet foot in the boot. With the combination of these boots and the wool socks my foot stayed warmed even thou it was wet.

With firearm season over and temps in single digits, the Sub Zero's have performed as expected when in the deer stands. The slip-on design, warmth and ability to walk through half frozen swamps fit our needs nicely.