• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

storage question

Ryan_V

What do you guys like your tires sitting on over winter? Cement/blocks, gravel, wood? I have my camper in a gravel floor shed wondering what everyone thinks about the tires? It's a 30' travel trailer, just put new tires on it. Thanks

A week ago I was researching tire storage to prevent checking.According to what I have read so far, nothing saves tires at all except usage to flex them and keep the oils spread through out the complex cellular structure.I did find the best is to remove and store out of light excessive heat.The usage was stated as best and there are no preservatives that wont harm them NOTHING!

For my entire life, I have stored boats,trailers,motorcycle, cars and a wheeled fish house and all I have done is put them inside and that's it.

I have never had any issues with a tire on anything stored, just keep the tires out of the sun so they do not sun rot. Most times my units are on a dirt floor, sometimes on cement and I have not noticed a difference there either.

Some people take their tires off or jack the unit up to keep the tires from getting a flat spot on the tires but again, I have never had that issue to date either for the past 40 years.

There may some be special way to store units to help with the tires but the way I have done it for 40 years has served me very well.

I do use dryer sheets to keep mice out but that's about it.

When we lived in the country we had 2 100ft long sheds, one with a concrete floor and the other was dirt. I stored a lot of different units for others and that I can remember, all left the tires or wheels on the ground and come spring all still full of air and they came and picked them up and drove off.

I know I'm probably over thinking it, the camper is an 01 and I just put the first set of new tires on it! Harvey, yes, I also use dryer sheets. you can smell them standing a couple feet from the closed up camper! I still like to use good old fashioned moth balls in my boat.