• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Braided Line - Not sure if I'm loving it

akthor

So I started carp fishing about a month and a half ago. I'm from Maine, no carp there. So I'm addicted to catching them, so big and so tough. Started fishing with my 8lb and 10 lb bass poles. Just using corn and was hooking a ton of carp. Unfortunately I was losing a lot of fish. Went to 15 lb test line (high vis green really helped watching the line for bites) lost less fish but still lost too many. So my poles were 6' ers so I went and got 7' med heavy rods. Then new reels and finally on advice here went with 25lb braid, with 17lb fluorocarbon leaders.

Now I'm not sure if its the weather or if its this line but yes I am losing less fish but I am also not hooking as many.

Now the braid is thin and strong and easy to cast. But it floats. Also its black, wasn't thinking I should have gotten a brighter color, its a dam to see except how I can see it floating on top of the water.

So is it the weather? Or are the fish seeing the braid and not going for my bait?

though I'm a relative newcomer to MN carp fishing, I do have a few years under my belt and I've found that they get harder to catch as soon as the early fall cooldown starts

I doubt if your trouble is the braided line- I used it on a reel for a couple seasons and loved the strength and light weight, but hated tying the hooks on - I hear there's a special knot some people use with braid but I never bothered learning it

Bring a friend and fish your two setups side by side!

I have a love-hate relationship with braid, but I've never seen myself having a difference in bites using full mono vs braid with fluoro leader. If I'm going to be carp fishing in current, you are NOT going to see me using 10lb test. Catching 5lbers and losing the big ones is just too sad.

the line will not be much of a factor on bite... its the swing in temp that . if you have steady temp for few days u may have a chance. I blanked in my last 5 outings straight fishing for carp . Instead i got a small cat in my last attempt.

It gets difficult as it gets cooler - u have to locate them and fish to have a better chance

This time of year the carp are less spread out and more schooled up. I don't have much experience fishing them in lakes other than spring time, but in the rivers they actually put the feedbag on until water temps drop below 50-55. I actually can count on catching multiple carp in a day on plastics while fishing for Walleye in the river I fish when water temps are right. Actually fishing for them can be lights out if you find a school.

I use 40lb braid while fishing for them so braid isn't the issue. I noticed from other post you are in Litchfield, i'd suggest trying the Crow and finding deeper holes. Stop with the corn and stick a crawler on your hook. Size 2-4 hook, a leader, barrel swivel, and preferably a sliding egg sinker. Good luck.

I agree with stepping up to 40 lb. Braid is strong, but one sharp rock and its toast. Less of an issue with heavier braid. I always use hi-vis color. You can gain some of the stretch back with the right action rod.

I worry if I use worms I'm gonna catch nothing but bluegill :-( if it warms up again despite how relaxed and comfy fishing from the dock is I'll take out the boat. The fish were still breaching last I went but seemed to be more so out past where I could cast.

More info needed to really assess the situation. When you say lose fish, line snap? Just come unbuttoned? If the line breaks how's it look? Might be rocks, might be drag to tight, might be bad knot. Braid requires special knots, and seen some knots not break, but slip right out. Fish you were catching all summer will not be in the same spots nowadays. Try hair rigs, Un-cut angling had a really good show on it explaining. Just use a worm instead, if the fish suck it in more than likely they'll hook.

They were breaking off when I used mono. No rocks, fishing in a lake but there were weeds and brush and with mono bigger fish would either get in that stuff and break me off or if I tried to keep them from going there they'd break off.

No break off probs with the braid just not getting as many strikes which seems to be a weather\water temp thing.

Not an expert or anything , but I could only think it may be your knots and/or your drag setting once you start reeling her in.

I use 10 lb - 12 lb line with a Trilene knot.

If the carp bite is on fire I may lose 2 out of ten in an outing but this is in the river.Your drag setting and knots has a big impact on line breaks.I have to adjust the drag 2-5 times sometimes as I'm reeling her depending on size of carp or the carps running speeds.Seems one has to adapt to each carp differently as each carp has its own special behavior.Just my own opinion.

Not an expert or anything , but I could only think it may be your knots and/or your drag setting once you start reeling her in.

I use 10 lb - 12 lb line with a Trilene knot.

If the carp bite is on fire I may lose 2 out of ten in an outing but this is in the river.Your drag setting and knots has a big impact on line breaks.I have to adjust the drag 2-5 times sometimes as I'm reeling her depending on size of carp or the carps running speeds.Seems one has to adapt to each carp differently as each carp has its own special behavior.Just my own opinion.

+1