• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fusion or Adrenaline

chasineyes

Don't get a 900 Fusion. I had one, and it had been redone to fix a lot of the factory problems and there were still plenty of problems. It ended up getting totaled when I got rear ended and it was a blessing in disguise (except for my jaw that wouldn't close straight for 6 months). Now I have an Adrenaline and love it. Total rocket ship. But, they also have some issues. Cant remember what though, maybe crank shaft bearings? I haven't had any problems with mine. She'll outrun most stock sleds of the era and many of the new ones. And it looks pretty sweet.

The biggest thing with Ski Doo SDI and ETEC engines is bearing failure. They use an isoflex (plastic) bearing in the crankshaft and over time it gets hot due to low lubrication and grenades. If you see one of those engines with around 3000 miles on it and it hasnt been completely rebuilt its rare and avoid buying it because it will be on your dime.

2 strokes in general will require a rebuild, but usually its just a top end. With these motors its the bottom too which gets spendy.

The suzuki motors in the cats have the reputation of being some of the most reliable engines out there. Depending what size motor you are looking it the engine should be the last of your worries. You will give up gas mileage and smoke though with the Cat. The ETEC or SDI will get better fuel economy and less smoke due to its cleaner burning, but the crossfire should be a good machine for you.

Crossfire is a better choice than a firecat of that vintage because it has the normal 15" wide track. More stable ride and seem to sit much better than the skinny one.

The 2006 model had Diamond Drive vs a traditional chaincase. Its pretty tough, but if you have a problem with it they are also spendy.

The thing with sleds is they all break. The things I would worry about on the Cat would be the diamond drive and bearings in the skid. Otherwise it should be a dependable machine.

MR you've ridden with me and seen that I don't baby my sleds! And, judging by the amount of miles I've put on my Ski Doo sleds without ever having a crank bearing failure I'd disagree that it's as common as alluded to. A combined 34000 miles on 3 different sleds and another 4000+ on the E-tec when I sold that. The only one that I ever made any crank related repairs to had over 11000 miles and a blown belt took out the PTO crank seal. Packed the original bearings replaced the seals andI kept the sled another 3300 miles after fixing it without issue. Not saying that some haven't had issues but there are no manufacturers that haven't had crank problems at one time or another.

It's amazing how far GOOD preventative maintance goes on a sled and your proof in your past sleds. I picked up an AC with speedo not working so I need to pull clutch and get to bearing. Is there any particular tool I need to remove the secondary clutch? FYI it's a 99 Pantera 580efi, I think it was a western rental.

MR

MR, the secondary should just remove with the bolt that is visible from the outside in the center. I think its a 9/16". Aside from that it SHOULD pull off. You may need to loosen one of the bolts that holds the belly pan/bumper together to give yourself some extra room to pull it out.

There is a chance that the clutch rusted on though. That's a major pain if it has then about the only way to get it off is remove the bolt, spray penetrating lube in the hole and inside the helix area. The "key" that is in the jackshaft tends to rust. Hopefully you do not have trouble getting it off.

When you do finally get it off make sure to apply some grease to the shaft and next time will be a breeze!

Not saying that some haven't had issues but there are no manufacturers that haven't had crank problems at one time or another.
Very true statement, but the SDI/ETEC engine issues are well documented. Many of my buddies have them and every single one of them has had a crank failure because of it and in most cases to multiple machines.

Granted, it doesnt happen for a while, most had over 3000 miles on the machine. Like I said though, rebuilds are considered normal maintenance for a 2 stroke engine at some point. The machines these days are far and away better than they were 10 years ago and rarely leave you stranded, but that goes with a cost. Man, these things run past $12G easy!

Another thing that could lead to longer ETEC life is generally the terrain you ride in. It seemed the guys who had the most problems were ones that long distance cruised at relatively high speeds. So there appeared to be some oiling issue at higher speeds potentially.

Another thing that could lead to longer ETEC life is generally the terrain you ride in. It seemed the guys who had the most problems were ones that long distance cruised at relatively high speeds. So there appeared to be some oiling issue at higher speeds potentially.

I definitely get a little touch of worry when we run 10-15 miles never dropping below 100mph, due to possible oiling issues.

I wouldn't be afraid of a Polaris edge either, a little older but if you get a 500 or 600 they are amazing sleds. had one 600 with 13,000 miles on it and never had to touch any bearings or motor, a 2001 500 with 12,500 with 0 problems and currently 2 600s with 7000 trouble free miles! The key to our success has been good maintenance, storing with good gas and sea foam. always make sure to grease after seasons. The key to Polaris is to avoid anything larger than a 600 is a safe bet.