• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Permit purchased. Time to pack!

I have been a little disappointed that I haven't been to the BWCA yet this year so I decided it has to get done. Well, I set aside some days and massaged my schedule at work a little and managed to get a 4day weekend in early September.

The permits I was hoping to get weren't available. So, I busted out the Beymer books and decided to try a entry point that I've never done before. Also, I have no accompaniment on this trip so why not have some adventure on my first solo.

I will be heading in at the Little Indian Sioux River and going north. After a couple days in some great fishing lakes, I will return south on the Nina Moose River. I'm pretty excited based on what I've been able to research online.

So, here goes nothing!!

I spent a good part of the day sorting through camping gear and getting out the stuff I will need for the trip. I have a lot of duplication in some of the items so that is part of the reason I'm sorting. I also have numerous items that are scaled for family or group camping and are not particularly suited to solo tripping.

A couple examples of this are the tent, water filtration/storage and the mess kit.

I own several tents ranging from a 2man UL backpacking tent up to the full size family tent that holds all four of us and the dogs. My real decision here was between my older 2man UL dome or my newest tent a 3man dome. Both tents are made by REI.

The older one is the UL quarterdome. Its a great tent using 2 aluminum poles that slide into dead end sleeves. Its super easy to setup by yourself, very lightweight and packs small. It is a free standing dome so stakes are not always necessary. It has a full coverage fly and doors and vestibules on both sides. I weighed it and with stakes and the groundcloth inside of its own stuff sack it weighs 5lbs even. I could cut close to a full pound off of that just by losing the carry bag.

The second tent is a newer REI Quarterdome T3. I love the extra mesh and vertical walls on the sides with the doors. It had more room, in several ways and more airy open feel inside. I weighed it and it is 6.2lbs. I'm kinda surprised, but that after some research, turns out that is about right. I may be looking to purchase one of their new designs since it weighs nearly half.

So, just like that I picked that 2man, for ease of setup, lighter weight and smaller footprint on the ground and in the pack.

I'm very curious about the condition of the mushrooms. I found a dew Porcini last year, but they were not in good shape. Based on what I've been seeing online, it seems that many of the shrooms are still doing well up north.

Yep, you'll be just fine. Chants and lobsters are still going strong up there, and if the porcini are still good down here (which they are), they'll almost certainly be OK up there if you can find some.

Cool to hear you're soloing up in that region. It's a great place to do it...smallish lakes, nice loops, good fishing, tons of hiking opportunities, and some very nice out-of-the-way small lakes with only a single campsite.

What canoe are you paddling?

In the effort to keep costs down, I will be paddling my Souris River Q17. I will just paddle it backwards.

I really wanted to try something different and rent a solo boat, but I don't feel like spending $100-125 on an experiment. The good news is I've used my boat solo several times before, so I'm comfortable with it. I know how ti load it to trim it out and keep it going straight.

I have done that locally with my Souris River Q17. I take out the front thwart (2 screws each side) and put a cheap Coghlans dry sack full of water in the stern (bow). Some day I'd love to buy a solo canoe!