• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

St. Louis River Cats

Mongrel Koi

This is interesting. Each year my friends and I spend a weekend during the summer at the campground on Thompson Reservoir in Carlton for our whitewater kayaking trip. I always wondered what fish were in the system upstream of the dam, and knowing Channel Cats are in there has me excited, as I have seen many fish surfacing on the reservoir during the evenings and mornings. Could those be bass or trout by chance?

My buddy and I tried by the Hwy 2 bridge one evening last week.

We fished from 6 to 9 pm and could only catch a couple of smallies and a rockbass. Those St. Louis River smallies sure like cut up chunks of sucker minnow. Even caught an 18" small jaw on the cut bait.

We fished from shore and used cut up sucker minnows, fresh killed frogs, and night crawlers.

We have both caught a couple of cats in this spot in early June.

Maybe this area isn't a good spot this time of year? It seemed like the water was really shallow.

Might have to bring a canoe the next time and do some exploring.

I've fished in Floodwood too a few years ago, but have only caught northerns and small walleyes there.

I'm not looking for anyone's hot spot, but would appreciate a litte help on a productive spot to catch a couple of kittys.

FYI, I only fish this area once or twice a year.

Thanks,

Brian

its been a while since ive fished that area. but ive used to fish near cloquet area and in Jay cook state park. the dam in Jay cook has produced many nice fish.

with the water being lower, i would try to find outside bends or deeper portion. if you can find a spot with some structure like a snag or wingdam near deeper water i think u'ld be golden.

cut suckers about 1-1.5" chunks is wat we usually used or fatheads

the norts seem to like cut suckers as well