• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about the camp Ripley hunt

I am wondering how it works for the hunt at Camp Ripley.

I haven't gone before, but do you just show up (if drawn) the morning of and they tell you where to go? Kr how does that work? And you can't camp onsite, correct?

Is it you can shoot whatever comes by or doe only?

Thanks for any help.

Nathan

You can show up the morning of the hunt lots of people get there the day before and camp along side the road. You can hunt in most of the camp except the DUD areas or closed areas. They give you a map and you can also look on the map online. You have to camp in the camping areas only. It looks like it is hunters choice area so you can shoot whatever kind of deer makes you happy. I am looking for the the first one that offers me a good shot.

but there is a 1 deer limit which makes using a bonus tag odd

"The bag limit for this year’s hunt is one, and bonus permits may be used to take antlerless deer". I dont think using a bonus tag is odd. I can go to Ripley and Harvest a doe and then go home and harvest a buck if I want. I supppos you could just use your regular tag on a doe but I like to hunt and will save my tag for a buck after I get home from Ripley. Unless I get a shot at the Big boy at Ripley. So not sure what would be odd about using a bonus tag there but to each his own I guess.

Although camp Ripley lies within area 248, camp Ripley is a "special" hunt so rules may be different.

In years past the deer shot in camp DID NOT count against your managment area bag limits. I did not know this till 2 years ago.

However thier rules have followed area regs up till this year, one reason why I was suprised to see 248 fall to hunters choice.

I suppose there is time for the camp rules to be adjusted, maybe they made rules before 248 was offically designated hunters choice.

There is a one deer limit inside of camp ripley. You can either use your regular tag or use a bonus tag if you shoot a doe. There are separate rules for ripley and always has been. Now if you want to shoot a doe and use your regular tag on it, go ahead. I will be using a bonus tag. The past few years you could take 2 deer in there. They tightened it up to just one this year.