• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

color selection and using glues for plastics

fishlips

I was watching a fishing show where they were using strike kings x3 worms.
The host recommended using green pumpkin color for clear water. The lake I fish is crystal clear...green pumpkin seems a little dark. What colors work best on a real clear lake? (detroit lakes area)
Also - on the show they were using glue to hold the worm head onto the jig. Seemed to work real slick. The bottle of glue that he was using was a pretty good sized white bottle. he called it super glue, but I don't think it was "the" super glue. What glue do the bass fisherman recommend that wouldn't be a turnoff to the fish?
thanks

As a rule of thumb. I like to use natural colors in clear water. Actually I like to use natural colors most of the time for largies any ways.

I've also seen the fishing shows when they used glue to hold the plastics on better. Good trick but I've never used it.

Like EBass, I usually start with natural colors when using plastics for largemouths. If the lake is gin clear (or crystal clear for those of you under 21), I usually down size the lures as well. I would never say this is a rule, but it is a good guideline for me. Of course I usually fish lakes and rivers that have a clarity similar to hot cocoa....

Regarding the glue, never used any but I would stay away from anything Berkley uses to adhere their two tone crawlers (i.e. pumpkinseed and florescent orange) since they sometimes fall apart before they hit the sales floor.

------------------
God bless,
Judd Yaeger
Yaeger Guides (Twin Cities Guides) www.yaegerweb.com/guide

I tend to go for downsized natural colors as well in clear lakes, but for me more importnantly I watch the forage species. On one lake I have in mind the water is relatively clear, and the pads are the hotspots for the bass. I like senkos and soft plastics, and we were fishing a variety of colors, white, green speck, pumpkinseed, etc. Switched to the little 4" baby senko in frog color(green/white) and I couldnt keep the bass off it. Reason- High population of frogs around this particular lake. It was amazing. Another lake that I am familiar with, which is also relatively clear, we use white and or silver lipless and cranks towards evening becasue that is when the crappies move in to feed.

Fishlips, we use glue quite often on the 3x plastics from Strike King. A small amount of glue at the time of rigging will keep the plastics in place, and since the 3x plastics are good for 15-20 fish it's worth the small amount of time and mess. On regular plastics I usually do not use glue as the plastics last for only 2-3 fish. You can use super glue of the small bottles of fishing glue about the same results.

------------------
Wayne
Agape Fishing Guides
www.agapefishingguides.com