• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help! Need to know correct bearing size

jmg

This is embarrassing, but I need some info. I bought a Spartan R16-12 trailer new in 2002. It has a 1200 lb. wt. capacity. About 7 yrs. ago, I decided to put new pre-greased hubs on it so I did not have to worry about bearing packing, etc. I took one of the hubs to a Northern(not toilet paper)store and was told I needed 1and 1/16" bearings, though I had been told that it might take 1". Anyway, I took their word and bought 2 hubs with 1 and 1/16". Now it is time, ,once again to re-pack bearings and I am afraid that I bought the wrong ones, since there seems to be moisture inside the hubs. Does anyone know for sure, if the R(roller)16-12 trailer takes 1" or 1 and 1/16"? I have the original hubs or at least I think I do and plan to get a caliper to measure the hub. That should give me the right answer-right? Again, embarrassed to write this, but better that than broken down on the road. Thanks.

I am not sure if this is what you need to know but when I re-pack my bearings every year the part number for each bearing and race is stamped on each item. Can't you cross reference this and find out what you want to know??? It also sounds like the rubber seal on the back side may have failed. The seal is also stamped with the part number and maker. Hope this helps.

I don't think there is any way that the bearings would have lasted 7 years if they were to large for the spindle. They would have wobbled badly and self destructed in a short distance.

It sounds like your seal is bad and has allowed some water in. 7 years is a long time for a seal to last. Most people replace them every 1 to 3 years.

I think you are right about the bearing size. I know I said it had been about 7 yrs. since the seals were replaced, but it might have been 5 instead. Also, the boat has probably only traveled about 300 or 400 miles in that time and I have pumped grease regularly into the hubs. There is no grease visible on the inside of the wheels. Hope to get time to investigate and inspect everything.

My wife said I should take it to some place to have it looked at. If I go that route, does anybody have any recommendations for a trusted place in the SOUTH WEST METRO area? I don't get a chance to use the boat that much so when I do use it, I want everything to work right, just like everybody else. Thanks for the input.

5-7 years is a long time to go between hub service so a little moisture in the hubs is not surprising. If the bearings and races are good (smooth and not rusted or pitted) just go ahead and repack and install new seals. If not you can get hub rebuild sets that will totaly refresh the hub. You will also want to check the spindle where the seal rides if its pitted or grooved you may need to get the axle repaired or replaced though I have had good luck with a little extra fine emery cloth to smooth them out. In the future you should probably look at pulling the hubs every season or every other season. If you do it regularly you will find small problems early and service will go quicker.