• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new to catfish

HandGunner

Im tired of bass fishin it has gotten way to competitive and everyone now is tryig to be the next bass pro. All my spots that were dead locations are now heavily populated, I guess its me pulling big bass out over the few years and some ppl have noticed. Now I just want to get into big bottom feeders anything. Catfish is on my list but I have no clue were ro begin. Bait tackle rigs and most importantly location. I live in ham lake and try to keep my trips close unless the wife and baby wants to tag along. Any idea if the rum river anoka dam is any good for cats? Theres a small creek on east river road in fridly too from the sippi. Fished the rum dam and was bit by tons of bullheads on the dam but barley landed them maybe it was hook size sinker weight and my bass baitcaster that limited my bite feel. Other things are how do I establish what type of cat it is because to me bullheads and a small cat I wouldnt be able to tell. As well if fishing off a dam how in the world are you supose to bring up a giant 10+ pound fish? Thanks in advance btw I have also made carp boilies for bottom feeders have a batch of cat food mixed with sugar water and flour as well one with coffee grounds creamer sugar water and flour rolled up in balls and boiled then dried in the sun.

Bait clicker? I have typical bass baitcaster reel and rod. Thats odd cats under the dam but not above the dam. What about the creek on east river road? Plus fishing the actual sippi right in anoka/champlin in the parks. Seems too big of a river to even catch anything on shore. Plus anyone have any info on the mill pond in champlin?

Bait clicker? I have typical bass baitcaster reel and rod. Thats odd cats under the dam but not above the dam. What about the creek on east river road? Plus fishing the actual sippi right in anoka/champlin in the parks. Seems too big of a river to even catch anything on shore. Plus anyone have any info on the mill pond in champlin?

Is the crow river from the sippi from near elk river were it starts down to lake rebecca on hwy55 any good for cats? Is some sections better than others? Example maybe more by elk river is better than by lake rebecca? Plus any tips on bait I could use live bait or homemade.

There are a few threads on here that have catfishing basics.

Read through all the threads linked to in here, and you ought to have plenty of info to start. Tackle basics, catfishing for beginners by chris hanson is a MUST read, tips by Steve D, etc...all very good info.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...-se#Post1846430

You seem eager, which is good. Read through the years of information that's already here and you're going to learn much more, much faster, than if you just post a thread saying "how do I do it" and wait for responses.

Also, use the search feature on the LEFT side of the screen. It's very good. You wanted to know about the crow river, and so you can go there and say "crow river catfish" and hit "search" and you get this for results:

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...h&sa=Search