• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Storage Box on Tow Bar or on Sled?

Scott M

Okay, I've seen a few snazzy setups on snowmobiles that are geared for ice fishing. One of my buddies has a Johnson's Cargo Systems Setup that includes an auger rack and shelf on the rear of the sled. He bolted a heavy duty storage box onto the rack. I'm either going to copy this, or buy a digger auger rack and bolt a heavy duty storage box onto my fish house tow bar. I've seen other guys put racks on their tow bars and it does provide some extra storage and not as much bouncing around as the back end of the fish house receives.

Any other ideas? Preferences? Observations with your setups?

Okay, I've seen a few snazzy setups on snowmobiles that are geared for ice fishing. One of my buddies has a Johnson's Cargo Systems Setup that includes an auger rack and shelf on the rear of the sled. He bolted a heavy duty storage box onto the rack. I'm either going to copy this, or buy a digger auger rack and bolt a heavy duty storage box onto my fish house tow bar. I've seen other guys put racks on their tow bars and it does provide some extra storage and not as much bouncing around as the back end of the fish house receives.

What kind of sled do you have?

I can't find a picture but back in his "In-Fisherman" days. Al Linder had a really nice diamond plate aluminum box on the rear of his sled which he could put gear on the bottom and his auger on top.

Mounting on the tow bar sort of scares me. I see your point about bouncing around, but I think mounting to the back of the sled is a better idea IMO. I know a guy who mounted an auger to the tow bar a number of years ago, because of the weight and rough riding the whole sled flipped upside down and shrapnel went everywhere. Granted I think this may have been more caused by the tow bar not having an anti-rotation bar in the hitch like they do now (like Otter's tow bar), but it still seems scary to mount something there.

I really like those Johnson Cargo Systems you referenced. Those look pretty sweet. Not cheap, but look well made.

The Johnson cargo system is nice and yes spendy.

I have a Doo Touring ELT(long track) so its much like yours.

Another option is go to hay days and find a cargo rack for $20 then buy a Digger auger rack.

If you find a rack made for your sled the taillight won't be an issue.

If its a generic rack you'll want to remove your taillight, make a cover for the hole,

and mount a light on the rack. No this won't have as much room as the Johnson rack but there is a limit to how much weight you want that far back on the sled.

As far as mounting a rack or storage on the tow hitch. I thought about making one for the propane tank. When running and gunning I'd never have to load and unload.

Why I haven't done that is when loading the otter with gear you want the weight in the rear of the tub. This allows the nose of the tub to ride up and over the snow.

This is especially important when encountering slush. A spinning track will pile the slush in front of the otter and it ends up plowing. This year I added the otter extensions to the tow bar that enables you to flip the tow bar over the tub. I wanted this so I didn't have to remove the tow bar ever time I loaded the tub in the truck. Anyway I plan to make a skirt on those extensions that will let the tub ride over that build up instead of plow it. Maybe then I'll mount the propane tank to the tow bar.

I think I know this guy!! grin

While I like the back rack and tub for electronics and gear, the auger will be mounted up front on my next sled. Depends on the type of sled, but you could look to get something to mount to your front bumper or off of the ski mounts.

Another option is to find a local fab shop and run your ideas past them. You never know, they could whip something up that fits your sled perfectly with not a lot of investment.