• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recording iTrack

snagger

Last year I bought a Humminbird 898 DI and Terrova with iPilot. I love it so far but I'm still learning all the capabilities. One thing I'd really like to do is record an iTrack from the Humminbird without the trolling motor down. I've researched this a bit on the web and watched a few YouTube videos. But, when I try to find the "Record iTrack" function on my unit I can't find it. It should be under the Navigation tab but I don't see it. Anyone else have this unit and have any advice?

Thanks.

I have the 1198 but you need to insert a SD card.

You should double check your latest ver of software too on the unit.

If you register the unit on the web site, they keep you abreast of whats going on with updates ect

I contacted Humminbird. Apparantley i have to have the trolling motor deployed and running in order to record and iTrack. I tried it. They're right. Kind of a bummer because it'd be nice to use the big motor and slowly drive through an area recording the track. Then, go back and follow it and fish it.

Snagger,

to be able to record a track with the trolling motor up and out of the water you will need to get I Pilot Link. what you have now is the regular I pilot. you already have the finder that will work with I Pilot Link. to get the I Pilot Link head for your motor you will be spending about $800.00 but this can be offset by you selling your current regular I Pilot head off your trolling motor after you put the Link head on. you would also need to make sure you have a compatible lake master chip the will work with Link. I believe there has only been 1 or 2 chips that have been released that will work with link. they are the 2013 card from last year and the new 2014 card that is starting to come out now.

Actually, I do have the iPilot Link. I wasn't clear about that in my original post.

since you have link you can record a track with the motor up. go into your menu screens and there should be a section that you use can use to do the the recording and play back of the recorded track. I can't say for sure what menu it is in since I have only watched the different videos on you tube about link. I bought the link head and plan to install it on my motor this weekend. I am getting the boat ready now in hopes that we will warm up soon and the lakes open up. I guess there is always the river too if nothing else.

your 898 may need a software update to run all the features of link. go to their HSOforum and see if there is a update for your 898.

It's user friendly but takes a summer or two to get a true hang of it. I felt confident after a trip or two but then again I had the original I-pilot for two summers before I got I-link so it wasn't much of an adjustment. I-link is easy. The main advantage I found was that I could troll a shoreline watching the side imaging, find a school and mark the waypoint 50' to the side and "go to" on the motor would spot lock me right on the spot. The "follow the contour" feature GREATLY disappointed me. I prefer the standard GPS guided advanced autopilot any day! This is a feature on the standard I-pilot but a great advantage with the I-link is that you can see the "goal" GPS track as a line in front of the boat showing you precisely where the autopilot track should take you. The learning curve is much more immense on the hummingbird unit. I have the 998 and it still feels like I learn a bunch every time I go out. There were times I just played around with the unit looking for stuff and trying to identify fish on the side imaging. Found two sunken boats, many many logs, interesting bottom structures (lake of the woods reefs...amazing!) and probably the most underrated ability is finding bottom transitions (muck to gravel stick out like a sore thumb and many times the fish were concentrated on these transitions). HAVE FUN! It can be frustrating, but remember, if you get over-whelmed to step back and at least use the great mapping software which helps the most!