• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

35 mm 1.8

Planning on using it for family shots and maybe some close up shots on stuff. Maybe some star trail shots. Northern lights if I ever get to where they are again. lol sure wish I would have been into pics when I lived in Alaska!

What crop factor is your camera? I have found that length to be one that is in the middle for me even on a full frame camera. For star shots and aurora its not wide enough, or for that matter even landscape. For portraits its too wide, leading to distortion issues. What it does do well is allow you to handhold in poor light. It will allow you to shoot where a slower lens will leave you out in the cold. Let me know how it works for you. I have an 85/1.8 and a 50/1.8 in my bag....somewhere smile Its been a while since they have been mounted on my cameras. With todays high ISO performance in camera bodies I haven't found as much need for faster lenses. If you don't have the high ISO capability it can be useful to grab shots in poor light!

I am actually looking at a Rokinon (Samyang Korean made) 14mm wide angle for my night star and aurora shots. It is completely manual like in the old days. No auto focus and no communicating with the camera body so you have no metering capability. So you have to manual focus and figure out the correct aperture settings. None of the auto features is really needed for landscape or night work. For $300 it is a bargain for the results it produces. Available in all major mounts, Canon, Nikon, Pentex, etc. If someone is looking for a sharp manual only type lens for landscape and night shooting I would give it very serious consideration.

This is an example of a high ISO handheld shot from last week in Boston. Handheld with my 17-40/4.0 at night. 6400 ISO at 1/25s, f4.0 and 17mm.

4DBL7895-XL.jpg

nice shot. 1.5 crop factor. I am a rookie so I have not read up on that. I will take some shots when I get it and hopefully I like it. smile Just a hobby and I enjoy editing a bit with elements. I take some pics for the school my wife teaches at also once in a while. Music stuff mainly. Usually not good light so hoping it will help for that.