• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

EXO Reel

Jmeyers

Bought the Quantum EXO 300 (6.6 gear ratio) last Spring. Paired it with a 7'11" XH Okuma Concept C3 rod (incredibly lightweight combo, yet no compromise of power). Worked nicely to rip some bucktails, had no problem powering in some big pike out of the weeds. Just missed on a big muskie tossing a Salmo Hodag topwater that I'm still surprised didn't get a hookset on that blow-up.

I haven't had a chance to try out the power handle.

My buddy was thinking of selling his and was going to cut me a decent deal. That and I've been wanting a good light weight rod, I have 3 other setups all with Saltist on them and thought it was time for a change!

Gotchya. It's probably a great reel and it looks sweet. I suspect that the reason not many people use them is because there are a lot more versatile/capable reels in that price range.

Not sure what you mean by "more versatile/capable". I was able to toss lightweight bucktails, heavy, 5+oz. baits, and troll with no performance issues.

Not knocking the reel. Just saying that you can't ignore the fact that for $300 there's the:

Calcutta 400D

Lexa 400 (pick your model)

Revo Toro NaCl

Heck last summer you could pick up a Tranx PG for $350. Not much anymore though.

I wish some locals shops carried the Iron PT 300 size made by Quantum retailing for $200.

From one of Quantums sales reps: "the iron is a better bang for your buck than the exo for Muskies"

http://www.quantumfishing.com/products/2599/Iron-PT.aspx

Sure, it's $100 cheaper MSRP. The EXO is all about cutting weight as it's 3oz lighter than the Iron. Haven't used the Iron to compare any other factors, though.

I'm happy with the reel, Very light and seemed to hold up well. The size of the spool concerned me a bit, I didn't want to run out of line on my longer casts but it seemed to work out just fine. Landed a fish on it so that's a good start smile