• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electrical upgrades and lighting?

slick2526

Boat is a 87 16.5 Alumacraft competitor

I was looking at some panels yesterday and I decided I would like to go with a circuit breaker this time instead of fuses. I am going with a 6 gang panel this time instead of a 4 gang like it had before. I want separate switches for both the bow and stern light, bilge pump, livewell pump, and interior lights. It would give me one extra switch but oh well. Most of them I seen were like 2x5amp,2x10amp,2x15amp switches with breakers.

I think the 10 and 15 amp breakers are way over kill for any of the stuff I plan on using arent they?

I have been searching on google and hsolist and I can't find a decent small 12 volt interior light with its own switch in a water resistant fixture like my boat had in it before. I would like a led one but I am will to settle on something different since I cant find anything similar to what i have. Any suggestions where to look or could you link me one?

What gauge wire should I be running off of my bilge, livewell, and lights when rewiring them in? Also what do you think is the best stuff to use when sealing your connections from moisture in applications like this?

Tried to keep the post as short as I could. If you have any questions on the specifics I will try to answer them the best I can.

Thanks for the input.

I agree the 10 amp and 15 amp breakers are pretty big for what you plan on running on them. One option might be to figure out who makes the breakers you plan on using and replacing them with appropriately sized ones... have to spend more money, but it sounds like you've done a fair amount of research already.

Regarding your light, I think your best bet is going to be to stop in at a dealer and see what they have in their catalogs / from their suppliers. Not sure if you checked grainger or mcmaster carr.. they might have something.

For wire for your pumps I'd be inclined to run 12 gauge... 14 gauge would probably suffice too.

marine_man

For the pumps and lights, 16 ga will be plenty. A bilge pump or livewell pump only draws like an amp or two. But you need to have the breaker or fuse match the wire. If you use 16, you need like 3 or 5 amp fuses at the most. I would use 5 for the pumps.

For the lighting, just a suggestion. The big auction site has led strip lights that are backed with 3M tape for dirt cheap. They are water proof and little power draw. You can also get a key fob style dimmer remote for them. I attached mine to the underside of the gunnels. Great for night fishing/night cleanup at the dock.

Good luck.