• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best line for soft plastics?

most plastic baits Trilene #10
dropshotting Vanish #10
milfoil/scum presentation Fireline #30

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 05-13-2003).]

Trilene XT on all baitcasters from 12 to 20 lb.
Scumfrog line would be berkely whiplash.
trilene 8 lb test on my lone spinning rod.

Carpguy- Give Power Pro a shot.No stretch much the same as fire line, but the line is spun round where fireline is flat, Power Pro will not "bury against" itself after a hook set. Like fire line You'll need to put 20 or so yards of mono as a backer on your spool first. Another advantage is no memory. Try it in Moss Green, I like 30/8 for jigs,15/4 for jig worms ect. but still like mono for Carolina rigs, 17lb. XT with a 12lb. flouro carbon leader.Good Luck, Kent

------------------

(320) 763-9598

[This message has been edited by firenfish (edited 05-15-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 05-15-2003).]

Go with whatever you have confidence in.. for me thats

P-line CXX Xtra Stong 10-17 lb depending on what rod and presentation I am doing.

P-Line Premium 10 lb for Crankbaits.

P-line Floroclear 8lb for Dropshot

Power Pro 30-50lb for Flipping, carolina rigging and scum frogs.

Firenfish and Exudedude,
I just started using Fireline this year. Had great luck w/ it until, yep, you guessed it: I buried it deep on a hookset. Of course I didn't realize it until my next cast. I was up north of Grand Rapids last weekend and was using a baitcaster and throwing my favorite Husky Jerk for northerns and the 30 lb. line broke right at the spool. My lure (lost forever) took off and sailed about 100 feet deep into the Chippewa National Forest. I guess I will have to learn the hard way.
So you recommend using Power Pro? I've heard it's good so I think I would like to experiment a little. Also, what is the reasoning behind putting on a mono backer for the first 20 yards or so? Is it to save some line or to attach your line to the spool easier? Or?
Thanks, Coach Dog

coach dog,

Give power pro a shot, its the best braid I have used.

The reason people put a mono backing on is that the superbraids are so slick that the line will actually slip on the spool. You cant tie the knot tight enough. You have the feeling that your drag is set too loose. So you put mono on and that stops it from slipping.