• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quick Survey

Rippinlip

I know in Bass Fishing there are a mulitude of techniques and variations of each. I know that each day creates a new or possibly different style. But if you were to only take two methods with you(remember this is only a survey). You had to choose a search bait and a saturating bait, what would they be?
ex. crankbaits & jigs
if you want add colors to your answers

Really loking for open and warmer water...

Great topic!

For my search bait i would definetly have to go with a spinnerbait because you can cover such a wide variety of depths and i have a lot of confidence in it.

My slow down fish the area thoroughly bait would probably be a tube with my most used colors being pumpkin, green pumpkin, or watermelon. I like the tube because it is also a very versatile bait. Another good option is a plastic jerkbait or do nothing bait like the senko.

I would have to say that I would take crank bait Manns Baby one minus is my preffered. But would have to use Berkly Power lizzards as my slow down bait. I like the black with blue fleck the most.

I agree with chev is the ice out anywhere yet?

This is for bass, right?
Search - Inline spinner near the surface. Shiny and loud.

Saturate - Depends on the structure and terrain. Weeds and slop - 6" Powerbait crawler (white or black)on a weedless 2/0 Eagle Claw hook rigged texas w/a glass bead & a bullet. Timber and rocks - Mepps Spinflex with a Power Grub.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

This is a good question! With so many techniques and lures available today, it's tough to narrow it down to only two, but here's my thoughts:

Spinnerbait and Carolina Rig and here's why. Both are very versitile lures and can both can be fast search lures or slow pick-cover-apart lures. I can cover the entire water column from surface to bottom and fish anywhere from 1 foot to any depth. Both can be worked in heavy cover or open water under all weather conditions and catch bass anywhere in the country. Oh, one last thing, as for what I would use on the rig... If I could only have one bait, it would have to be a fluke type bait.
JM2C

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

smaller spinnerbait
6-8inch power worm rigged to stick pigs

a big bucket mouth nailin a worm on top of a lily pad is about as sweet as you can get.

the torpedo is also a sweet lure when the conditions are right. and you just hear a slurp when the buckets hit.

I wish you would have said three because I want to include a chartreuse and white, 1/4 oz. Strike King French Quad spinnerbait with a spaghetti 5" Kalins grub onto my list. However, the spinnerbait lose out because I want to be able to deadstick both of my choices as well as search with them.

Instead, I would go with a black 6.5" Yammota cut tail worm rigged weightless and either wacky rigged (tail bitten off for Senko affect) or texas rigged or added as a trailer on a red 3/0 circle hook attached with a hitch hiker screw. Wacky or Texas rig for the do nothing and pitchin', and either the hitch hiker or Texas rigged for speed wormin'.

My second lure would be a dark green, 5" Salty Mother tube rigged weightless on a 5/0 Mustad Ultrapoint Ultralock hook for skippin'. Another way to fish it is with an exposed hook using a tube jig for ripping through weed tops or jgging on the bottom or just plain swimmin'. You can also texas rig it and pitch it.

I forgot the rules so if you can only use one technique for each lure, I would use the cut tail weightless for speed wormin, and the tube texas rigged with a 3/8 oz tungsten bullet weight unpegged for pitchin'. Then again, if I could only use one technique per lure I would opt for the spinnerbait instead of speed wormin' as a searcher.

I wish you would have said three because I want to include a chartreuse and white, 1/4 oz. Strike King French Quad spinnerbait with a spaghetti 5" Kalins grub onto my list. However, the spinnerbait lose out because I want to be able to deadstick both of my choices as well as search with them.

Instead, I would go with a black 6.5" Yamamoto cut tail worm rigged weightless and either wacky rigged (tail bitten off for Senko affect) or texas rigged or added as a trailer on a red 3/0 circle hook attached with a hitch hiker screw. Wacky or Texas rig for the do nothing and pitchin', and either the hitch hiker or Texas rigged for speed wormin'.

My second lure would be a dark green, 5" Salty Mother tube rigged weightless on a 5/0 Mustad Ultrapoint Ultralock hook for skippin'. Another way to fish it is with an exposed hook using a tube jig for ripping through weed tops or jgging on the bottom or just plain swimmin'. You can also texas rig it and pitch it.

I forgot the rules so if you can only use one technique for each lure, I would use the cut tail weightless for speed wormin, and the tube texas rigged with a 3/8 oz tungsten bullet weight unpegged for pitchin'. Then again, if I could only use one technique per lure I would opt for the spinnerbait instead of speed wormin' as a searcher.

If I had only two lures to bring in the boat with me on a trip it would have to be a jig worm and a jig.
The jig worm is a great search bait for me. I can fish it as fast or as slow as I want to. You can also run it at any depth. Although you will need a few diferent head sizes. As for the worm behind it I prefer a 5 to 6 incher.
The jig is just a super bait. You can do almost anything with that in any type of cover. It seems to catch the best quality of fish.

Banger

Two search baits for me. Spinnerbait in crayfish colors for shallows, crankbaits in crayfish colors for deeper. Back when I used to keep and clean bass, it was a rare stomach that didn't have at least one crayfish in it, even when the bass were in the weeds.

Sometimes those two search lures are all a person needs for the whole day. But if I get a fish and feel more are there but won't hit the searchers, I slow down with a Texas or Carolina rigged Berkley Power worm, tube or lizard.

If the fish are very shallow in the pads and weeds but not aggressive, a Superfrog (thick soft rubber body, kinked legs) cast in pockets and let sit, sometimes for 2 or 3 minutes or longer between tiny twitches, will infuriate those bass.