• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr. Buddy Portable Buddy Repair Question: Regulator stripped

1eyeReD

Hello all,

This weekend I found out the threads in the regulator of my Mr. Heater Portable Buddy (the thing where you screw in the 1 lb propane cylinder) "somehow" got stripped. Basically, when you screw in the propane cylinder, it leaks like crazy and the cylinder just keeps spinning and never tightens. I looked up the Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Manual manual and found the part number so I am fixin to call Mr. Heater to see if I can get the part ordered. However, I would like to know if anyone here has experience with dis-assembly of the unit to replace this part. Sure it can be fairly straight forward, but I am prone to breakin stuff more in the process of trying to fix so a little direction won't hurt. Anybody?

Depending on how much regulator costs, might be cheaper and quicker to just buy a new heater for $75.

If your more prone to breaking it maybe safer to buy new. There is a thread about a heater cleaning gone wrong just this year and the guy got injured.

If you tackle it check for leaks with soapy water. Be careful.

It's fairly simple, use your smartphone or camera and take a picture after each step in the dis-assemble to help in the re-assemble. Take your time, most things broken during repairs are because you're in a hurry and not thinking through what you're doing. Like magicstix said use soapy water to check for leaks when it's done.

Depending on how much regulator costs, might be cheaper and quicker to just buy a new heater for $75.

If your more prone to breaking it maybe safer to buy new. There is a thread about a heater cleaning gone wrong just this year and the guy got injured.

If you tackle it check for leaks with soapy water. Be careful.

I haven't looked at how the regulator is hooked to the propane supply line, but I imagine it's just like any other propane line where there is a pipe thread fitting screwed into the regulator. All you should need to do is spin the old one off, put pipe thread tape on, and spin the new one on. Check for leaks afterwards.

It looks like the part is probably super cheap too, I definitely wouldn't be wasting $75 and having another one sitting around in the garage when this should be an easy repair.

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.aspx?catid=41&id=139&prodid=

Call or stop into Reeds. I needed a new control knob for an older buddy and Mr heater changed the buddy around 2008, but Reeds had all the models knobs in stock, so for $3 I was back in business.

I know they are a Mr. Heater repair center, but maybe call ahead to find out if the part needed is in stock etc... The model number is listed right on the back of the unit.

http://reedssalesandservice.com/

Call or stop into Reeds. I needed a new control knob for an older buddy and Mr heater changed the buddy around 2008, but Reeds had all the models knobs in stock, so for $3 I was back in business.

I know they are a Mr. Heater repair center, but maybe call ahead to find out if the part needed is in stock etc... The model number is listed right on the back of the unit.

http://reedssalesandservice.com/

I did call em. They're ordering the part. It's actually like 18 bucks or something. Kinda pricey for a hunk of metal, but whatever. I definitely would like to give it a shot before dropping $75 on a new one.

Good to hear. Glad they could fix you up.

I am just glad there is somewhere close to actually source these small parts.

If I had to order that stupid control knob direct it would have cost me $11.50 instead of $3 and change.

That $18 sounded a little high when considering the above statement, So I don't know if your being charged for the freight. Which could go directly to your home/ business then. I see the part itself being $4/$7 without $8/9 in freight depending on exact manufacturer and if I am seeing the part you need being described as the "regulator" on this page---->

https://www.mrheater.com/OrderParts2.aspx?catid=41