• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New boat - Bass boat or deep v or rough water bass boat?

Skhots

Hey all, I hope this doesn't come with some bashing but aside from looking through different boat pictures, I couldn't tell the difference between a "regular" bass boat and a "rough water" bass boat.

I currently have a kingfisher 17' fish and ski with dual consoles, it doesn't do very well on rough waters. I'm mainly looking to target walleyes this year but will do the occasional bass fishing with friends. I've recently gotten into trolling for walleyes and have done well on St. Croix but would like to go troll bigger waters this year.

So, I'm looking to get a new boat this year and have read that rough water bass boats(champion, bass cat, and some others) are good bass boats that handle rough water well. I know, "rough water" and "bass boat" don't belong in the same sentence but that's what I've read.

Would a champion boat be a good medium between a deep v and regular bass boat hull?

Rule #1

You don't have to have a bass boat to fish bass.

If you're strictly after bass and are interested in tournaments, they're awesome. They're designed for speed and fishability from the front deck. I can believe manufacturers are trying to smooth out the ride for rough water but there's only so much you can do with a speed boat.

You say you're mainly planning on targeting walleyes and are getting into trolling. Go with a boat set up more for walleyes. You'll want to have a deeper boat that won't take waves over the bow, have a kicker motor if you're running a heavy boat that requires a big motor to go fast, and be more comfortable for more than 2 anglers.

In my world, I think a tiller rig makes more sense for serious walleye fishing and trolling. Console boats are better for casting and maybe fishing from anchor. 2c

First I think champion is out of business, not sure if this would alter your decision on a used rig or not. Also bass style boats even in the best designs are not meant for rough water, trolling or walleye fishing as the decks are high and the hull is fairly flat for top end speed. its deigned into the boat. i think if you want a nice casting deck with a decent cockpit look at muskie boats. higher decks like a bass boat, deep cockpit and hull like a walleye rig. Glass or Aluminum. Look at the layout of a lund predator boat. I'm sure other manufactures have raised decks and a deep v. best of both worlds as long as your not running bass tournaments regularly.

I don't plan on getting into tournaments.

I know I don't need a bass boat to bass fish but I do like the ability to get into skinny water without worrying about the boat.

I did not know that Champion went out of business, but Kingfisher did too and it doesn't bother me a bit. I don't need a huge casting deck like the bass boats offer, but occasionally I'll have more than 3 people on the boat casting.

A tiller makes sense to me too for trolling and such since I have had my rod holders setup at the stern end. I would like the convenience and weather protection that a console gives.

I was pretty much set on a deep v until I read that there are some bass boats out there handling rough water well. Just thought I'd see what anyone else thought.

Thanks

Choose a deep V with less deadrise or a pad on the back. some aluminums really don't have the draft you'd imagine. Lund has the pad on some models and alumacrafts are fairly flat on the back half of the hull. crestliner has variable deadrise but they are heavier usually.

If you are looking into a rough water bass boat, I like the ideas that warrior has. I am not sure if they still make it but they had one with a 25in transom and the ability to put a kicker on the back. If you are looking more for a deep-v which I would recommend for you due to the style of fishing you do I would recommend either a lund predator, ranger 620, or a skeeter deep-v. These are the only boats I have really looked at, and I am sure there are others out there. I run a skeeter zx2050 and I can cast 3 guys out of it as I built a rear casting deck, but I can also run out on Mille Lacs and Vermilion on some very rough days and still feel safe.