• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Never thought of it as a problem but...

Fish&Fowl

My dog does NOT chew his dry dog food. I've fed him multiple brands over the past few years and recently got the largest kibbles I could find. He still swallows it whole no matter if it's on a plate, in a bowl or dumped on the floor. Plus the Taste of the Wild he usually eats only comes in smaller kibbles, and as a result his teeth are not getting clean and I can't imagine it's that good for his digestion?

Any ideas or similar experiences?

My last dog lived to 15+ years old. I doubt if she chewed 10 bites total in her life! She wolfed her food down from the day I got her. I did give her good beef shank bones every month or two to keep her teeth clean...

Good Luck!

Ken

Does the dog chew sticks or anything else? Chewing kibble is only one way a dog can clean its teeth. Chewing other items also helps.

My dog chews his kibble methodically, he also chews sticks and bones that seem to help. I will still on occasion break out a tooth brush and give his teeth a scrubbing. Mostly in the winter when all the sticks are buried under the snow and he isn't able to chew as often.

Same here. I soak my dogs food for better digestion and give her chew treats occasionally. I was told by my vet net to worry about it unless they throw it back up. I find at least putting water in the food slows her down. I did try one of those bowl that supposedly makes them slow down and chew..... used it the first time and seemed to help, went to feed her the next day and she had chewed the bowl up!

Thanks guys. He does throw up seemingly for no reason sometimes, maybe once a month or so? Never understood that but I guess I never thought to ask the vet about it. He gets some treats that he must chew, maybe i'll have to look into brushing every so often.

Iv'e got one that I feed on the floor, I pour it out in a very large area, it slows him down but he still doesn't chew. Try deer antlers as chew toys, Ive got one that is going on 14 and has never needed a teeth cleaning, not saying there pearly white at 14 but plaque free.