• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

help me get started

ozzie

After another year of trying to get my hunting fix on weekends during the firearms/muzzy season and coming up short I am going to take up bow hunting to give me a longer season and put me in the woods when I can get out after work instead of waiting for gun season and dark at 5pm.

What are some suggestions on what to look for in a bow. I have a PSE that I bought 10 years ago that I never set up and since technology has changed so much since then I thought about buying a bow in the $500-$700 range. I am not sure if I go with used or new, brand, models to stay away from any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!

I want to buy it this winter so I can spend the spring/summer practicing and getting ready for the season.

Thanks

I've always liked the Hoyt Charger. For brand spankin new, with the "package" it is around $650 at most places. It competes with higher priced bows, the package deal comes with decent "budget" package components, the bare bow is pretty well priced too. Thinking of getting this for my Dad.

Go to an archery shop. Shoot everything in your price range. Any good shop will set you up with what you will need. Lots and lots of good bows out there. Find the one that just does it for you! And don't worry about model or brand!

Something to keep in mind. Add another $500-1000 for everything else you will need on top of the bow. Obviously many things don't need to be purchased or added right at the beginning just to get started shooting, such as quiver, broadheads, and things like that. However, you will need arrow rest, sight, peep sight, arrows, and release, and probably some sort of case even if it is just a soft case. You can probably buy these necessities for $200-300, but if you are looking at a $700 bow, you may want to look at the better accessories as well, hence the $500 and up. It's a fun process, shoot a bunch and go with what feels best to you focusing on a few key things: 1) grip - how does it feel in your hand 2) draw - some feel smoother than others, often faster ones have a little steeper draw force curve and you feel that 3) the back wall - what does it feel like at full draw 4) the shot - compare recoil, vibration, shock - what does the bow do upon the shot 5) weight - lighter weight often feels better lugging around, but may not feel as solid on the shot.

In the end, if a less expensive bow just plain feels better to you, don't worry that it's not one of the expensive ones! So much of this is personal preference. Last tip - check your eye dominancy to make sure before you just walk in and say I need a right hand because that's what you've always shot for gun. You'd be surprised how many people are left eye dominant and didn't know it and have shot right hand guns all their lives, but would shoot so much better with their dominant eye. Good luck, and welcome to the challenge, and all the rewards.

thanks alot guys for the advice!!! Propster I am going to print that list off and bring it with me for things to think about!! And it is funny you say the dominant eye thing as over the years my dominant eye has actually changed from left to right. I shoot a left handed shotgun but I throw a ball right handed. The thing is things feel more natural for me to raise up to shoot with the left hand as the trigger hand...well it looks like I have a winter to think things over and do some inspecting and shooting at area archery shops. Looking forward to getting in the sport of archery hunting!!!

Ozzie,

If Parkers Prairie is within driving distance of your home, you may want to take a look at Prairie Archery in Parkers Prairie. Prior to this season, I had been shooting the same bow for the last ten seasons. I decided last winter that I was going to do a complete upgrade on my archery equipment. I did a complete make-over and got brand new everything except for my arm guard. I did some looking around at pro shops that I thought would be a good fit to start a long-term relationship with, and ended up going with Prairie Archery. Was very happy with the job they did in setting me up, and follow-up service over the summer/throughout the season. If you're interested shoot me a PM and I can get you their info.

Once you determine your dominant eye, that is the eye that should match your shooting hand. Archery is so dependant on a good sight picture from your dominant eye. It will be easier to learn to shoot a bow with the proper eye, than it will to learn to shoot with the "wrong" eye.

You've got some great tips here. There are good posts about this written every year so there should be plenty of info to read up on.