• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking to buy ATV

walros

I am new to this sport and wondering what would be the best rig to get? I would need to use it ice fishing, plowing the driveway and, of course, letting the kids ride it. The kids are 16, 13 and 10 years old. I would appreciate your recommendations or suggestions.

Price wasn't an issue at this point. I was thinking of the twin cylinder engine because they should be smoother running and last longer but I was reading about the Polaris leaking problem. Now I am not sure.

You really cannot go wrong with any of the manufacturers models. They are all very good, solid units. Check some of the ATV chat boards out there on the 'net, and don't let brand bashing sway you too much.

It is ok to shop for the best price, but be sure to get one from a dealer who will be there for you when you need service or warranty issues adressed.

My rig is a 2001 Polaris Sportsman 400, and it does all those activites that you mention very well. It has drug 20 foot logs, elk, and deer with ease. That said, I nearly bought a Honda and a Cat, and would have been just as happy. It just came down to the best price at a dealer I felt would be there for me if I needed him.

I bought mine in mid summer, when dealers were making room for the next year models.

Walros,
First, I invite you to use the "search" button above your post. Search for something like "ATV purchase" in this ATV Forum and you will net some information. Try other search words as well.

Don't forget to check out the smaller size ATVs. This might help ya.

http://www.atvnews.com/output.cfm?id=772309

The "best rig" is one that YOU like, has the features YOU want and has a price tag that YOU need. How much you looking to spend?

Walros -
I also looked at the Polaris Sportsman 700. I ended up getting the Sportsman 500 HO instead. The 500 HO made more sense for me because it is actually a smoother running engine than the 700. Some owners of the 700 complain of engine vibrations that make the racks vibrate and rattle. Also the 500 is a time proven engine that does not have any issues with a leaking water pump cover.

Like yourself, I have kids who will be riding the machine and more power is not what they need. Maybe I should have purchased the 400. Test ride them all - - I think you will be suprised at how much power even the smaller ones have.

In the end, buy what you like from a reputable dealer. I don't think there are really any bad machines out there.

I bought a 500 H.O. and use it for what you described (ice fishing and plowing mainly). So far I can't imagine ever needing more power for what I use it for. It has plenty of power. Up in the mountains the extra torque might come in handy though...

I think you will love the machine, Polaris makes one of the best machines for what you described in my opinion. My second choice would have been an Artic Cat 500.

I got a plow, hand&thumb warmers, and a windshield on it all ready. May need the BIG tire kit for mudding in the summer. Sure is nice smooth and powerful, 4 wheel drive works good (havent been stuck yet). I think this is gonna be a good thing to have around.