• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Low Range

TV BOY

Does one need to use it for plowing? New to the ATV world, and having a blast clearing driveways. (great way to meet neighbors) The RPM's didn't seem to get too high, so I was using high range mainly because it's a little harder to quickly shift from Rev to LOW.
Anyones 2 cents appreciated.

I believe you have the Kodiak 450, right?

The inline shift pattern on newer Polaris ATVs, from Low straight into Reverse, was intended to get more users to use low range; due to belt wear/breakage.

I would take that as a que for "any" ATV owner to use low range when appropriate (ie: heavy-duty pulling/pushing).

If you're going to plow deep heavy snow, I'd take the time to use low range for sure. If it's a couple inches of fluffy light snow and you feel you're not working your machine hard you could use high range but you may be causing premature wear on the belt.

It's your call, I guess.