• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winch Question

Canuck

I am very new to this ATV thing, have run sleds since 73 but this is the 1st year for a Quad. My Quad has a 2500lb winch. The other day I tried to pull my ice shack out out storage using the winch. All it did was pull the quad forward.
Question: Can U hook up the rear of the quad to a solid object and then run the winch out and pull it without hurting the quad? Probably a very stupid question but U guys have been doing this for quite a few years. THANKS.........

Canuck -

Frequently with heavy or really buried machines we have anchored the winch machine to a tree or stump with a tow strap to keep it from pulling itself in. Like Dave says if you hook it to the trailer hitch on the rear it shouldn't be a problem. If it brings your winch to its knees, then you have one heck of a heavy house. Hooking the house to a tow strap with a slight amount of slack is probably the best way. Give it a bit of a tug and it should move. It's the old static v. kinetic friction thing we learned in high school.

later

River

I would not recommend hooking it to a tree unless you are hooking it to the frame. I have seen rear ends pulled right of the back of an ATV buy hooking it to the hitch. Remember its is on you axle if it doesn't have independent rear suspension.

You can double up the cable with a snatch block and that will provide you with 5000lbs pull weight. I would guess you have a Warn winch. They do offer a winch kit that comes with a snatch block and tow strap and hooks, availble at most dealers.

Ride safe, wear a helmut, stupid hurts

If you get them serviced, wash them first. grin.gif

It sounds to me that a tow strap, rope, or chain might be better suited for your situation at hand?

A winch can be mounted front or rear, but in this case it sounds like its easier to drag the quad than it is the house... so towing it might be what it takes to get some momentum.

OOPS .. I just re-read the question.

Your atv should be able to handle some pretty serious torque... but the weight of that house could be a big factor. In personal experience, I have been stuck to the point where a winch would not budge me and it did no damage to the machine.. but I guess theres no guarantee to anything.

I would try to tow it out before anchoring my machine to anything. If you do anchor the machine, be sure to hook up to the trailer hitch, or something that should not cause serious damage if it does break or bend.