• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HOLY CORN!!!

MUSKY18

FishinGuru......he's talking about moisture content of the corn. They need it to be below a certain % or they have to run the corn through a dryer before they can store it. If it is too wet and they put it away, it will rot and mold. Lose big money. Spend big money if they have to pay to have it dryed before storage.

'Zactly. The combines can have moisture meters in them and they'll stop harvesting a part of the field if the content is too high and continue in another area.

I was wondering why they were leaving patches of beans earlier this year and coming back later to pick em, so I asked. Made sense once I had the info.

The statewide corn harvest is reported to have just passed the average for this date at 73%; the first time this year it's been ahead of average.

Many seemed to be stumped on "all that corn dat ain't cut" well, I'll give some insight. Beans are harvested first, if not sold, they fill the bins. Then comes corn. Well, let see. If there was an insurance claim for say, hail, and the farmer is paid, it's typically not the farmers corn. If billed a complete loss. The biggest issue now is wet fields. Figure a bushel of corn weighs 58 lbs, modern combine hoppers hold 200-300 bushels, on wet soil. Nope, get stuck. Then there's corn that's too wet. 12-14% moisture is the target moisture content in corn. Lots of corn is 20-30% that is standing. It is very spendy to dry corn. Now that I've cleared some things, I'll give u my thoughts. Deer typically don't bed in corn, if they bed in the nearby cover year round. They stay where they feel comfortable. If u can, hunt pinch points or funnels where cover meets the corn.

Went out for a bowsit this a.m. but my car crapped out on me. Nice morning for a 3 mile walk. Car is in the shop and I'm driving a 1989 Chevy truck, she's a beaut. Could be worse. Doing a little work and obviously some snooping. Thinking on getting back out after I sew up a few loose ends for work. Any thoughts on when a guy should get in stand this eve?

p.s. walked past a smallish lake and there were a group of duck hunters that had some pretty good shooting.

Many seemed to be stumped on "all that corn dat ain't cut" well, I'll give some insight. Beans are harvested first, if not sold, they fill the bins. Then comes corn. Well, let see. If there was an insurance claim for say, hail, and the farmer is paid, it's typically not the farmers corn. If billed a complete loss. The biggest issue now is wet fields. Figure a bushel of corn weighs 58 lbs, modern combine hoppers hold 200-300 bushels, on wet soil. Nope, get stuck. Then there's corn that's too wet. 12-14% moisture is the target moisture content in corn. Lots of corn is 20-30% that is standing. It is very spendy to dry corn. Now that I've cleared some things, I'll give u my thoughts. Deer typically don't bed in corn, if they bed in the nearby cover year round. They stay where they feel comfortable. If u can, hunt pinch points or funnels where cover meets the corn.

I've been still hunting corn fields my entire hunting life and I would say deer bed in corn fields all the time. The biggest buck my dad ever shot was 3:00 in the afternoon walking across the rows still hunting. This buck was sleeping with his head tucked around his body, my dad scoped him for 5 minutes and almost passed on him thinking it was a fawn he was curled up so tight into a ball. Only took the shot when he noted antler tips when the buck re-positioned his head. Scored mid 140's. We have found lots of deer bedded mid-day in corn fields who have no intention of moving if they aren't pushed.

Oops too busy feeling sorry for myself in my last post forgot to mention in Northern Kandiyohi county there is a field a half mile north of corn still in but the combines are on the filed edge with a couple tractor trailers. A small field to the south as well. My guess about 50% of the corn is still in around my hunting land.

Many hunters have, just my experience has been non productive while still hunting and driving cornfields. 15 years ago we did, but with the abundance of popple tree farms, deer have more cover, and haven't been bedding in their kitchen. Good luck this weekend. Look twice before shooting