• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PVC boat cover frame?

Whoaru99

Thinking about trying to build one for my boat (Sylvan Pro Select 16). The cover will be a cheap poly tarp.

I'm thinking something like a full length ridge pole type setup, with support legs that vee down, more or less like a roof.

Anyone else built one?

What size pipe did you use?

Any other suggestions as to a general design approach, and or what you'd do different this time?

I'm thinking I could drill through the joints for some small bolts to keep it together without glue. Another possibility I thought of was running rope through, sort of like shock cord you see on some types of tent poles.

Anyway, went with 1-1/4". That was the biggest size with decent selection of fittings at the local store.

Dont go with the PVC pipe the slightest little bit of wind will blow it over even if it is ancored down. My dad built on for his boat screwed all the pipe together it looked like it was really gonna hold up but about a month or so later the got some lightning and some strong winds and it just layed it over and broke the PVC so it isnt worth the time and effort to build one.

Big Fish Hunter247

Too late now.

Guess I'm not really sure if we're talking about the same type of thing. What I'm doing just to support the tarp to reduce snow/water pooling, not a free-standing shelter.

Along these lines, except on a boat.

cover_support_PVC.jpg

It probably will work but you should tie it with some ropes up over the top to hold the tarp in place. Despite the relatively steep pitch to it there still could be some snow pulling it down so I would also put some ropes inside of the frame to hold the tarp taut. Finally I guess I would make sure not too much snow piled up on it to keep the weight off the trailer.