• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

its hard to say, I can't say I have heard or seen much to indicate anything positive anywhere in the state.

With that said I have been doing some scouting and been roading my dogs daily. As always with crops still in its hard to judge numbers based off what you can see visually. I have come across a couple broods and they are still really small (late hatch)

I have seen very few combines out, and only a small margin of beans are being harvested. I haven't seen any corn coming out yet. Crops got a late start, and with the drought they are a little behind. It will probably be tough going first couple weeks with crops still in.

The numbers are going to be low because of multiple factors: drought, ice storm this spring, wet spring, and loss of habitat.

I was just in NE SD duck hunting. We scouted a ton for ducks and geese and its really sad for pheasant. I saw zero birds and never even heard a rooster in 4 days. Now granted this has never been the top area of the state or even close for that matter but we always saw and heard pheasants on our prior trips to the area. I also saw first hand how much land is being converted to crops. I think we are entering a new era in SD and for wildlife its not going to be pretty.

I know this thread went dead about a month ago, but for the sake of breathing some life into this forum:

I drove up and down I-29 this week and didn't see a bird. Not much for crops left standing, but a lot of ground that hasn't been worked yet.

Only pheasants I've seen this fall were on the shoulder of the road on the edge of Bismarck.