• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New home looking for an old dog.

Wanderer

Just taking a chance on asking here...

I know a widow living alone on a farm in SE MN who is interested in an adult (just not a puppy) Golden Retriever for companionship and to bark when someone comes around. She's asking for a Golden specifically since she had one before and likes their personalities.

The dog would be well cared for and brought in the house every night, not be just a yard dog.

If you know of a mild mannered Golden that needs a new home, please let me know.

Thanks!

Thanks setterguy,

I've looked at their site a little bit before and again just now. I sent a note to their contact us page and will see what they come back with.

The majority of their dogs have emotional or medical baggage (as said on their site). I know they get some easier cases from time to time though and hopefully we can connect with one of those dogs. This widow is able bodied but is older and does live out in the country in a small town part of the state. A dog with medical baggage wouldn't be a good fit for her. If it develops later, so be it, but having it going into the deal is something I'd like to avoid.

I'm putting the feelers out through a few different avenues and am hoping to find something before winter.

Here's a site to get some good dogs. Ragom (Retrieve a Golden of Minnesota)

http://www.ragom.org/

My mom is a "foster mom" to some of these dogs between when their owners need to be done with them (say they're moving into a place that doesn't allow pets, for instance) and when they find a permanent home. Lots of nice dogs on there.

Wanderer,

My mom lives in the country, sold the farmsted, and is moving to town - and is wondering what to do with her dog. He's an older dog, about 8 years old, no medical problems except she tends to feed him too much, dog is not a house dog, lives outside, sleeps in the barn. Very friendly dog, good with kids, not trained much, won't lead - but is not a golden, he looks like a Chesapeake mix, heavy brown fur. Nice farm dog.

Let me know if it might be a match and I'll find some pictures.