• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Paint for my dark house?

pikestabber

I have older 5x7 that I replaced the roof on a year ago and subsequently black-jacked the heck out of near the top of each wall/seam. As a result, I think it looks seasoned; Ms. Pikestabber said it’s hideously ugly and an eyesore in front of our house. After a good strong argument (silently, in my head), I agreed to paint it. I am just wondering if a Rustoleum oil-based enamel black paint will stick well to hammered aluminum siding, or should I be looking at something else? I don’t care about a ton of longevity since it’s on its last legs (hoping for 2-3 more seasons), but would one coat do it, or should I plan for two? Would a gallon get me there, or do I need two? Finally, what is your preferred clean up for oil-based? I have mineral spirits if that will get it done. Thanks!

Yes you can get by with rustoleum,but Behr makes some really good paint as well and you could get by using waterbase exterior paint and not worry about the clean up as much just use soap and water. Rustoleum also makes a great exterior waterbased paint as well.

mineral sprits is a great way to clean up and so is acetone

I personally recommend oil based.

One coat should do... start with a gallon and see where that gets ya... I would think a gallon of thick oil based paint would be more than enough. I used Rust Oleum black oil based paint from the big green box store. You might want to paint it the same color as your home though... "urban camouflage" ya know.... laugh

The best oil based cleanup is the garbage can.

Use disposable brushes, and disposable gloves.... when you are done throw the dried brushes gloves etc in the garbage can.

Clean it good with a pressure washer and let it dry real good before you start; then paint it up... with the temps we have been having it will be dry in a couple min....

I do like dorkfishes idea though.... or get a tarp and cover it up... laugh