• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jon Boat Repair

th64

I have a Jon boat that I have used for years, I like everything about it but it has always leaked. I think I have tried every kind of patch but the leaks always come back. I asked the guys who store my other boat about fixing the leaks and they say they can weld and replace some rivits for a couple hundred bucks. So is it worth it? Also any way they could add some keel protection? My larger fishing boat that almost never sees a rock has a guard and my Jonny that gets dragged around(can't help it!) does not.

That seems like a real fair price. it is a lot of work to patch up holes in a boat and when welding aluminum cleanliness is next to Godliness. I have patched a few on my boat both by welding and also when it wasn't possible a patch with JB weld and there again the same holds true as cleanliness is next to Godliness rule applies here as well. The patch I did was in the bottom transom seam, I backed into a rock while duck hunting and put a quarter sized rip in it I used the rule wink and the hammered the until it was squeezed tight the applied the rule again the applied the JB weld and let it cure over night. That was 5 years ago and still not leaking.

Rivets are hard to JB weld as they like to flex and rattle loose so welding is best

Put the plug in and put some water in there (while on the trailer, that should be a given) and look underneath and circle the leaks with a marker. Either replace rivets or have them welded. (I had mine welded and a crack in the keel filled in.) This worked for a bit and now I have more leaks, but not nearly as bad as before. So she'll be back eventually.

Crystal Welding in Osseo did mine. $100 which was an hours worth of work.

Someone just told me welding can make aluminum weaker. Thoughts? He also thought that because I have a cross bar support broken this is flexing the boat too muck and causing my patch to crack or separate from the boat. More thoughts?

Could you weld on a plate for reinforcement? A welding place in Savage did that for me where the rubber trailer stopper hits the front of the boat. There was a crack there and JB weld kept breaking since it flexed. They filled in the crack and welded a nice plate on there. Looks slick - oh no idea if welding makes aluminum weaker

Someone just told me welding can make aluminum weaker. Thoughts? He also thought that because I have a cross bar support broken this is flexing the boat too muck and causing my patch to crack or separate from the boat. More thoughts?

The Cracked support will let the rest of the area flex more causing more problems.

I don't believe that welding aluminum makes it weak unless done wrong, like to high of heat making it brittle and taking the strength out of the aluminum on each side of the weld, not enough heat making a cold weld which will crack/separate from vibration.

Speaking of vibration that is what is the biggest killer of Aluminum, IMO, so your trailer needs to be running its best also, to minimize vibration. The list goes on and on.

They looked at it and said their was too many bad rivets-So I guess I am looking for a new used 14 light. Meantime I will beef up the cross supports with angle iron and rivets and spray the bottom with 3M undercoating-Any other ideas?

Tornado took my Jon boat years back and placed it at the other shore of my lake. When I found it, every rivet leaked. I sanded around each rivet and fiberglassed a patch over each one. I used that boat for many years after. If you don't care what it looks like, it should work for you.

Takes two people but you can Peen those rivets and that may help too. ("peening rivets" is one guy on one side with a ball peen hammer pushed against the rivet and one guy on the other side with a ball peen hammer smacking the rivet) this will tighten them up.